Safety Detent/Detent Spring...

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
IWeld

Safety Detent/Detent Spring...

Post by IWeld »

Hey all!
I got my first P64 about three weeks ago. It was in great shape with the exception of the fact that safety seemed awfully loose. After dismantling the slide, it came to my attention that there was no safety detent, or detent spring. I was fortunate and found a fella over in Poland selling both parts on Gunbroker. The parts arrived today and I was having a heck of a time installing. I'm aware that this isn't supposed to be the simplest of operations, but I'm fairly savvy and have watched/read a number of instructionals on this process. In a fit of rage I began cutting coils off the spring (knowing that I have 2 backups...) Finally I quit and slid the detent itself (no spring seated on it) into the hole that the sprung assembly is supposed to go into. Lo and behold, even with just the detent in the hole, it will not allow the safety barrel to clear. Am I missing something? Has anyone else had a similar problem? I'm at a loss at this point. Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.
All the best,
Greg
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Safety Detent/Detent Spring...

Post by Curly1 »

Maybe you need to round out the safety plunger if it is to pointy
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

Clean the hole where the detente goes. There might be burrs or dirt that got stuck somehow? If the detente goes in flush, try putting the spring again. Also as Curly suggested, round the pointy part of the detente, and file the hole on the safety drum where the detente sits, file it at an angle for the detente to slide in/out smoothly. This will allow you to easily engage the safety on/off.
IWeld

Post by IWeld »

Thanks for your responses. Initially I was under the impression that my gun came without a safety detent or spring. I'm starting to think that they are actually in the there, just stuck down. I baked for 10 minutes at 140F and sprayed with brake free but it's still down in there. I've got a few machinist buddies, but I hope not to have to go that route.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

IWeld wrote:Thanks for your responses. Initially I was under the impression that my gun came without a safety detent or spring. I'm starting to think that they are actually in the there, just stuck down. I baked for 10 minutes at 140F and sprayed with brake free but it's still down in there. I've got a few machinist buddies, but I hope not to have to go that route.
That was was gonna be my suggestion because I know when the detent & spring are in the hole and you push it in for re-assembly the whole thing goes in flush. If just the pin, by itself, is sticking out I guarantee there's something already in the hole. Original plunger and spring would be my first thought, too. Baking might not be hot enough. Do you have a propane torch? A pencil-thin flame would give more heat but shouldn't be enough to hurt the steel, IMO. Also soaking it with some kind of solvent would be helpful if left for a while. Penetrating oil or even WD-40 might be a thought. Something that doesn't evaporate too quickly. Good luck!
Last edited by robhic on August 2nd, 2015, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Kroil oil will penetrate tight spaces.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
nerillosa

Post by nerillosa »

I lost the safety detent spring when it went flying into oblivion while trying to get the firing pin out. Anyone know where I can get one or some small spring that will do the same job?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Try Gunbroker the guy from Poland may have some.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

nerillosa wrote:I lost the safety detent spring when it went flying into oblivion while trying to get the firing pin out. Anyone know where I can get one or some small spring that will do the same job?
Someone here found that he spring and detent for a Walther PPK will work. (I have them in one of my P64s that the detent got lost). You can get them from NUMRICH gun parts and I even think the part nos. are around this forum somewhere but they shouldn't be hard to find. Cost is about $4-6 for the set, I believe....
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
nerillosa

Post by nerillosa »

Got the Polish safety detente spring a couple of days ago. I installed it successfully after more than an hour of efforts. The keeper for the loaded chamber indicator got loose and fell out so I had to put that first. After that, the firing pin went flying out. Retrieved it and I finally got the job done. Pistol feels good now and it's slide internals are all clean and working. Feels good.
I might sell the P-64 though, the recoil just feels too painful. I tried changing the recoild spring but same thing. My hands can't seem to get a good hold of the gun and that worsens things.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

nerillosa wrote: My hands can't seem to get a good hold of the gun and that worsens things.
A small grip sleeve made of rubber by Hogue and available on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hogue-Handall-J ... 27f7d7bd4f

Might be of help there. It gives a tackier grip and a little more/better control. Under $10 with free shipping it's a pretty good deal.
- Robert