Man, I'm Getting GOOD!!!

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Man, I'm Getting GOOD!!!

Post by robhic »

Not sure why I felt so lucky today but I decided to change the firing pin springs in 2 P-64's. My first entanglement with the safety/de-cocker removal took a dismal and embarrassing 5 ± hours! :shock:

But I had some FP springs that came with the new recoil springs I had ordered here and there. Why not use them...? So I took out my tools and cleaner and dove in. Gritted my teeth, drew on my prior experience (and new hemostats) and started. I filed the safety body a bit to loosen it up (don't trust myself with a Dremel) as they were a little tight, so while I had it apart ....

Got the new springs in, filing done and all re-installed -- 2 hours! Two hours to replace the FP springs, dress the safety body, clean and re-lube in less than 1/2 the time it took me to do just ONE! I'm getting good! :mrgreen:
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
herr mario

Re: Man, I'm Getting GOOD!!!

Post by herr mario »

.....I still havent gotten the cahones up to do it...hee heee :lol: ...congrats... :wink: :mrgreen:
...typical bitter clinger...
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Sounds like a labor of love.

I would not attempt to change the FP spring unless you are seeing drag marks from the FP on the face of the shell casings.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
gilmaxter

Post by gilmaxter »

Wow very nice congratulations.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Curly1 wrote:Sounds like a labor of love.

I would not attempt to change the FP spring unless you are seeing drag marks from the FP on the face of the shell casings.
It was more a labor of boredom. :mrgreen: I had zero to do yesterday and figured "Why not?"

As far as the labor, itself, my reasoning was I had the new FP springs that come with the new Wolff recoil springs - might as well use them. The originals are 40± years old so they'd served their time. And the safeties could've used a bit of TLC to make them a little smoother so I took my shot.

After my last-last go 'round when it took me 45 minutes (still had the 5 hr marathon in my head :shock: ) I figured I had gotten better so should be able to pull it off. And I did. All new springs in those 2 pistols.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

herr mario wrote:.....I still havent gotten the cahones up to do it...hee heee :lol: ...congrats... :wink: :mrgreen:
Actually, my first time was under poor circumstances: no hemostats (watch Junius Taylor's excellent video elsewhere on this site), bad lighting and it was getting late. 3 strikes right there. I'd definitely recommend watching that video just to get acquainted with what will happen and what you need to do.

So I had gotten some hemostats ($6 + free shipping on eBay for 2 pair -1 straight, 1 curved), better light and it was after lunch. Plus I felt lucky! :) One tip: the detent and spring is the first thing to pop out if you're not careful, so be ready, pull the safety body out slowly acnd block that detent in its hole so it stays in! I know they recommend crimping the spring to the detent piece, itself, but I cannot find a good way OR a place where the spring can be crimped (at least not easily IMO) so I used a small pin-punch to slowly lever the safety out while blocking the detent IN which makes a HUGE difference 'cause that thing can be a nightmare to get and keep in.

Body will practically fall out after that - just be careful. Sand, file, lube, change FP spring whatever you want. Ready to re-install, get the FP in oriented correctly(it can be a helluva lot harder than it looks!) and make sure it stays down waaay away from the safety body you're slipping in [important]. Get it in and make sure it is STRAIGHT! When it hits the detent peeking out of its hole and stops, use a small tool (pin-punch, awl. screwdriver, whatever) to push the detent in and shove the safety in HARD! So it goes over the detent and the snap/click sound you'll hear will then be drowned out by your cheering!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: DONE!!! Also, a big plastic bag to work in to keep parts from flying off is sometimes suggested. I just can't do that so I got a wide, narrow box and backstopped my work area in the direction springs and stuff would fly if they took off. (Of course now that I had a flying parts trap NOTHING took off flying!)
- Robert