P-64 safety has a half way point

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
gilmaxter

P-64 safety has a half way point

Post by gilmaxter »

Well I just noticed that my p-64 safety has a halfway point between safe and fire. Now I am pretty sure its not suppose to do that but I want to be sure. I can get it to go completely into fire and safe. But I do not know why it has a half way point. The year it was made is 1977. Don't know if that helps very good gun just picked it up yesterday from the shop. Haven't fired it yet outta fear of that safety issue. Any advice is appreciated.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: P-64 safety has a half way point

Post by Curly1 »

You are correct there isn't a middle position.

There is an in depth discussion here.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5645&hilit=safety+half+way
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Looks like Curly beat me to it! In case these are different threads you might also check this looooong one out, too: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5735

It's more about a safety block but I'm pretty sure the "halfway" safety position comes up and gets debunked also. Interesting discussion (and long) nonetheless.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
gilmaxter

Post by gilmaxter »

So should I try to see if I can return this p-64 ? Is this intensional for the gun to have this feature ? Or do I need to replace a part or something ? Just wondering if I should worry is all.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

gilmaxter wrote:So should I try to see if I can return this p-64 ? Is this intensional for the gun to have this feature ? Or do I need to replace a part or something ? Just wondering if I should worry is all.
Oh no, they're all the same. Some may have more wear but the design is the same. There is no "halfway" position. You can leave the safety/de-cocker lever in between the FIRE and SAFE positions but it will NOT be in a groove or slot or whatever you want to call it like when the detent pops into the other 2 positions. It'll just be pressing against the body of the safety assembly body. It can slip out and go to Fire or Safe. Your P-64 should be just fine and nothing to worry about. You don't want it getting knocked into "Safe" when you're shooting it or "Fire" when you want it in safe. Have you fired it yet?
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
gilmaxter

Post by gilmaxter »

No being that none of the stores doesn't have the ammo. So they are ordering it for me and for others. So its safe then good :)
gilmaxter

Post by gilmaxter »

Wait so it can be left in the middle of the fire and safety like a 1911 ?
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

gilmaxter wrote:Wait so it can be left in the middle of the fire and safety like a 1911 ?
A qualified "yes" in that you can put and leave it there it's just that that is not really a "position." If it were close enough to fire then you could fire the gun but it might jolt the lever into safe. Or the other way into fire. There's nothing stopping it from moving like when the detent pin drops into its groove/slot when you purposely move it there and it stops. Sounds like your gun is fine, you're just moving the safety lever between positions - which ain't a position! :mrgreen:
- Robert

gilmaxter

Post by gilmaxter »

Sweet so happy with my gun. Will have to look for some good ammo , are there any low recoil or low power ammo out there ? That isn't corrosive and surplus. I do have standards not alot but I do :P
Caniac92

Post by Caniac92 »

Wolf and silverbear seem to be the only budget brands I have found. Neither are surplus nor corrosive.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

This is where I've gotten the majority of my 9 Mak ammo: http://www.sgammo.com/ Good selection of steel-case and some American (Hornady) brass at best prices I've found. Quick shipping and less than other places I've looked at for Mak ammo. I generally get it delivered within 3 days or so by UPS.
- Robert

gilmaxter

Post by gilmaxter »

The store I got my p-64 said they are resupplying there mak ammo with geecko brand ammo. Is that a brand anyone is familiar with?
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

If you go to the link Curly has provided, you will see my post on the 2nd page.
I had the same issue as yours, and my simple fix was to hammer the upper area of the disconnector, to add a little or extend the tip area that contacts the safety drum. Have shot about 1K rounds with no issues. I use the decocker regularly at the range, shooting DA after every reload.