Hammer Spring Replacement HELP!

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Hammer Spring Replacement HELP!

Post by robhic »

I've replaced springs in this fashion before. I've used the paper clip to hold the spring, get it off and replace. I use vice-grips (no vice :( ) and it's not a breeze but I've done it a couple of times. My Wolff reduced power springs arrived today and I got my p-clip, vice-grips and assorted stuff and got the spring assy. out.

I couldn't compress the original spring with the mag-release attached to it! I tried and tried but NO luck. So I'm looking for tips from anybody who did this spring change themself. Did you do anything special or some trick to get it apart? I pushed down on the release but couldn't budge it! There's where I could use a vice. Or a power-lifter! :mrgreen: So any tricks or tips? I'd appreciate any help you can come up with! Thanks.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Hammer Spring Replacement HELP!

Post by Curly1 »

Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Curly1 wrote:Check out this vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRhMnRs6Gi0
Thanks for the video link. But I got that far (using vice grips instead of a vice which I don't have) it's getting the assy. compressed where the problem comes in. I just can't compress it (like he did seemingly so easily in the video) to remove the spring from the rod. I push down but NADA. I must be getting too old and ain't got it no more! It won't budge and so I was seeking ideas as to how I could compress the assembly instead of using my old-man hands to do it. :mrgreen: Prolly need to do it to get the new spring back on, too. Hmmmm, need to do some thinkin' here ....
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I would try using the palm of my hand making sure I can still see and get to the paper clip to remove it.

Hopefully your body weight will help out as you press down over it with you hand.

You can also try using a piece of wood or hard plastic in the palm of your hand to compress it.

If you have a shooting glove wear that too on the compressing hand.

Oil up the spring and rod also if you haven't tried that yet.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Those were all good tips to make the job easier but I hit upon the best one of all: 3 pairs of hands!

As I was struggling to get it done and find the tiny hole to stick the paper clip in endlessly, 2 friends happened to stop over. YESSSSSS!!! One to steady the vice grips, one to push down on the spring and mag-release part and me to hold the flashlight and stick in the paperclip! I fought it, initially, without success for over an hour and was NOT happy. After I enlisted my boys we did three - count 'em 3- in about 15 minutes!!! All is finished and I am pleased. Trigger pull is definitely better. I just hope the 17# springs don't cause mag issues as some have stated. But if I need to change springs again, at least I have experienced help! :mrgreen:
- Robert

Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Good news, give us a range report.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Curly1 wrote:Good news, give us a range report.
I certainly will. Another thing I thought of to add to your excellent list above: C-clamp. C clamp in lieu of a vice OR vice grips. You can stick the assembly in the clamp and screw down until it's loose. Remove the paperclip and slowly let it back up. Replace spring and reverse the process. Being careful because that assembly flexes at the spring rod and mag ejector tab piece junction. Watch that one interface and I think that could work. Woulda been my next attempt if my boys hadn't shown up.

I must be livin' right. Broken trigger spring for a 40 yr old foreign pistol! But I found someone who made that exact spring here in the US for $6!!! FIXED! Advice/video for servicing the safety/decocker. FIXED! A couple of parts vendors: FOUND! Lighten trigger to more manageable weight (nonsuper-human!) DONE! Because of chance visit by friends. Now that things are going so well, I'm waiting for something truly terrible to happen!!! :shock: This forum has been a Godsend.
- Robert

Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Sounds like the right time to by a Lottery ticket :)
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Ya know, that might be yet another good idea! The way things are going it couldn't hurt.... :mrgreen:
- Robert

robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Bought 3 lottery tickets :mrgreen: and went to the range. 17# hammer spring made a BIG difference but not a problem and no trouble with dropping of the mags. Had one glitch. One pistol (1968) jammed and mag would NOT drop. Tried prying but no dice! Guy at the range got a screwdriver and loosened a grip about 1 turn - mag dropped! It worked in other pistol but not this one. :( So I sanded inside the grip where the wear marks were when I got home but still jammed. So I juggled grip panels between the 2 pistols and all mags dropped in all pistols so I'll just leave them paired as is. So far all is well. I DID order some Hogue Handall Jr. grip sleeves to try to mitigate the snappy recoil and prevent the scrape/abrasion I got on my hand web last time. Shouldn't need a glove (which worked well...) next times. Now waiting for Lotto results!!!
- Robert