Anyone use Finish Line grease on their rails?

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
gman68w

Anyone use Finish Line grease on their rails?

Post by gman68w »

Some of the finish is starting to wear off the moving parts the more I use my P64, in places like the trigger and on one side of the hammer, and I was going to use a tiny dab of Finish Line Teflon grease on these parts. Has anyone else tried it before?
Jesus sez 'Pack Heat' Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now,
he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that
hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: Anyone use Finish Line grease on their rails?

Post by robhic »

Just my preference but I don't use grease of ANY type on slide rails. I prefer oil (generally Ballistol) lightly applied. I put some grease at the top of the hammer-spring assembly before re-installing that (shouldn't have to fool with that very much, if ever...) and then Ballistol on the moving parts. Something I found: If you shoot a quick spray (with any aerosol) into a garbage can or rag, etc. a small drop usually stays on the end of the extension tube. Then you can touch that drop to provide lube while not using too much. Try it. In all other cases I like EEZOX dry lube which is a great cleaner (but do NOT get it on rubber or plastic!), dry lube and metal anti-rust protectant. It dries, well, DRY, so as not to attract debris, powder residue, etc. I coat my barrel interiors and it makes them clean, shiny and effortless to clean. I can shoot 50- 100+ rounds and you generally can't tell the gun has been fired.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I use a small amount of grease on rails.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

Tetra gun grease for me. I just a wipe a very tiny amount on the rails.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

gemini1 wrote:Tetra gun grease for me. I just a wipe a very tiny amount on the rails.
Have you noticed problems with TETRA either separating in the tube or hardening up (I forget 'zactly which problem I had)? I used it for a while and then went to use it and a clear liquid first came out (separation) and I think it also got a bit stiff, too. So I stopped using it a year or so ago as did a friend of mine (a professional gunsmith) for similar reasons. Just curious. I just bought some "Montana Xtreme" grease in one of those hypodermic-looking dispensers to try. Hope it works better.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
gman68w

Post by gman68w »

I'd considered dirt and other particles sticking to the grease when I was looking up the different kinds. Finish Line is meant for bicycle and motorcycle chains, and I thought "Surely those things are subject to more dirt than slide rails, so maybe this'll work". Which is why I'm asking about it.
Jesus sez 'Pack Heat' Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now,
he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that
hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."