P64 trigger

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Zachattack2

P64 trigger

Post by Zachattack2 »

Hello I am new to the forum and I am looking to get a Polish P64 to add to my collection. Can u guys lead me to a new replacement trigger because I've heard th DA trigger is heavy.

Thanks,
Zach
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: P64 trigger

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.

There is one for sale now in the forum with the Wolf spring kit installed which should lighten the DA but verify that with the seller.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5700
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
mosinmike

Post by mosinmike »

The Wolf spring kit definitely lightens the DA but you have to be careful. It also lightens the SA pull to a point that may be too light for some.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

+1 it will have a "hair" trigger in SA.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
2old2run

Post by 2old2run »

Curly1,
I have a 1968 vintage which I purchased used, but in almost new condition, polished the burrs off the safety and spent several weeks working it to smooth it out, polished the feed ramp and replaced the hammer spring with an 18lb. Wolff reduced recoil spring to attempt to reduce the DA trigger pull. I also replaced the recoil spring with a 20lb. Wolff Extra Power Recoil spring and replaced the firing pin spring as I didn't know the history of any of the springs at all. The pistol works with any ammo I feed it with only an occasional failure to eject. The SA trigger pull is lighter than I like and I consider it pretty much a "hair trigger". I didn't do any filing on any trigger components and would like to know what I can do to increase the trigger pull on SA as I think it's a dangerous condition as it is.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Did you try it with the stock hammer spring in place to see how you liked it?

I don't know what else you could do to tighten up the SA pull with the lighter trigger.

Maybe some one else will chime in on that.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

My only thought to increase the SA trigger weight would be to replace the lighter spring in now with one of the 19 or 20# hammer springs available from Wolff. Of course, you're getting back up into the range of the original hammer spring (which is, IMO, horrible!) and I don't know just how much more it would increase the SA pull. Has anyone here ever tried the 20# and used a gauge on the SA pull? Or how about cutting off a coil or two from that horrid OEM spring if you didn't want to use it at full power?
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
2old2run

Post by 2old2run »

Curly1 and robhic,

Thanks for the responses. I did not try putting the original spring back in as the new spring tamed the original, and legendary, *264#* DA trigger pull. Looking at the original spring, it's approximately 1/4" shorter than the replacements so I don't know what the story is on the pistol. As I said, it looked to be like new inside and out and I had to do work on the safety to get it to move smoothly so I don't know if someone did some amateur gunsmithing, decided they didn't really like the pistol and just sold it or what.

I have a 19# and a 20# in the Wolff kit I purchased and both are labeled "Reduced Power" as was the 18# replacement I installed. I will try them and see if it makes a difference, but it can just be a question of the geometry of the hammer and trigger components.

I may just switch to one of my compact 1911 .45s as the recoil is less punishing, but they weigh a hell of a lot more and are bulkier.

Thanks again guys.

2old2run
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Also I have found it helps to use the crease of you index finger like you do for a revolver for extra leverage instead of just the pad of the finger which is common for pistols.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
2old2run

Post by 2old2run »

Curly1,

I've tried several hand positions to protect the web of my hand from the bite and I don't have particularly large hands but I will try your suggestion as it just might be the right solution.

Thanks,

2old2run
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

2old2run wrote:Curly1,

I've tried several hand positions to protect the web of my hand from the bite and I don't have particularly large hands but I will try your suggestion as it just might be the right solution.

Thanks,

2old2run
I suggested that to deal with a harder trigger pull.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
2old2run

Post by 2old2run »

Curly1,
Heard, Understood, Acknowledged...HUA...hooah!

Old, but not yet senile.

The heavier spring will require more pressure in DA requiring repositioning of finger and, hopefully, will also give a little stiffer trigger pull in SA which will solve my problem. Got it.

Will report once I've swapped springs and gotten out to test.

Thank you!
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

2old2run wrote:The heavier spring will require more pressure in DA requiring repositioning of finger and, hopefully, will also give a little stiffer trigger pull in SA which will solve my problem. Got it.

Will report once I've swapped springs and gotten out to test.

Thank you!
When I got my first P64 I wanted to shoot it before I had chance to change the spring(s). I found it almost impossible to pull the trigger DA with the original spring. But I gotta admit that when I cocked the hammer manually, the SA pull wasn't very heavy at all. The 20# Wolff replacement might be better than the 18# (I had it gauged at around 4-4.5#) but the 20 might not be that much heavier. If I had to guess, I'd go for around 6# SA using the original spring. Good luck!
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
2old2run

Post by 2old2run »

robhic,
I can deal with the heavier DA pull if it will give me a less twitchy SA pull. Do you know the specifications for the original spring? As I posted, it's about 1/4" shorter than the three Wolff springs I got and don't know if it's original, has been modified or what.

Thanks,
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

2old2run wrote:robhic,
I can deal with the heavier DA pull if it will give me a less twitchy SA pull. Do you know the specifications for the original spring? As I posted, it's about 1/4" shorter than the three Wolff springs I got and don't know if it's original, has been modified or what.

Thanks,
Unfortunately, no I don't. But no "regular" trigger pull gauge can read it! I've seen folks say the original spring is around 30 lbs weight!!! That's incredible. Reason it's shorter is, IMO, because it's made of heavier material. At least that's how it looks to me. The original is thick while the Wolff replacements are of thinner wire. That's what probably accounts for the difference in length. But what I'm saying in my last post is that even with the original spring installed, SA wasn't bad at all. What you'd expect with such a heavy DA pull is really not proportional on these guns. The SA pull will be somewhat higher than Wolff will give you, just don't expect it to be too much higher.
- Robert