pull trigger, hammer doesn't drop

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
vaxio

pull trigger, hammer doesn't drop

Post by vaxio »

Hi all, I'm new here, I've been sorta "lurking" in these forums for a couple weeks now. I just purchased a p64 from a previous owner. He had switched out the stock parts with a 22lb recoil spring and a 17lb hammer spring. After buying it, I took it to the range and found that it sometimes would light-fire, meaning the hammer would drop and wouldn't be enough to ignite the primer (I could see the mark from the firing pin on the primer). So I took it home, ordered the 18lb hammer spring, which I had read on here that some people found that to be better.

After installing the 18lb spring, I took it out to the range today and found that it still light-fired and I had an additional problem: when I pulled the trigger, the hammer wouldn't drop! It happened about once or twice every few rounds. I was cycling with multiple mags and each mag caused this problem to happen at least once.

With the light-fires, I'm not entirely sure there's a problem just yet, I was using the cheap Monarch steel ammo, I might try and order some other kind. The Academy near my house only seems to carry that particular brand so I haven't tried a different brand yet. Do y'all have any suggestions on ammo? I had seen that there were mixed reviews on Brown Bear but Fiochi seems okay? I prefer the cheaper the better haha.

My main concern is that when I pull the trigger, the hammer doesn't drop. It would sometimes happen multiple times in a row. Anyone else have this issue? I used a healthy amount of Ballistol to clean it and I'm wondering if maybe that is causing something to slip? Not very sure about the nitty gritty mechanics of this pistol.

Thanks in advance for your help!
keith150

Re: pull trigger, hammer doesn't drop

Post by keith150 »

I don't know enough about the internals of the p64 but as for the light strike could be the primers are stronger requiring a harder strike
vaxio

Post by vaxio »

agreed, keith150. I plan on trying out different ammo next time. Which do you use?
keith150

Post by keith150 »

At the moment I've got reloads the guy I traded for it had
tech 1

Post by tech 1 »

My single action stopped working after a cleaning in my ultrasonic cleaner. Pull the trigger and nothing but a sloppy trigger. Turned out it was just a lack of lubrication. Sprayed it with Tri Flow and presto, started working as it should. I do get a light strike now and then, just put in a new firing pin and spring, but haven't tried it yet.
vaxio

Post by vaxio »

tech1, where exactly did you lube it? I've only put lube on the slide so far.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

you should lube the hammer pivot and put a small drop into the firing pin hole holding the muzzle up so it can run into the firing pin channel. And the kind of ammo (steel cased) is what the P-64 was designed to shoot, Com Bloc steel cased ammo. The other thing to look for is cosmoline or dirt / crud in the hammer internals. See here for this:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2593

That should get you started on figuring out why your having light strikes. Also check the firing pin channel to see if it is blocked. Try putting a standard #2 yellow pencil down the barrel, after clearing the chamber a couple of times and removing the magazine, and pointing the muzzle at the ceiling. This way the erasure is resting on the breech. Then cock the hammer and pull the trigger with it still pointing up. If the firing pin is free to move properly it should launch the pencil out with quite some force. If it does not move or does not clear the barrel you have something keeping the firing pin from hitting the erasure with full force. Try that but definetly check the link cause there is a huge amount of learned info there on how to get these little baby's up and running. And welcome to The Brotherhood.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
tech 1

Post by tech 1 »

Take off the grips, on the right side you will see several pieces ( below the slide) that operate with the trigger. I like Tri Flow because it foams when sprayed, then I use q tips to soak up the excess. If it moves, lightly oil it . Mine went from no trigger engagement to perfect operation with a squirt of oil in the right spot.
vaxio

Post by vaxio »

thanks, i'll give lubing it a shot before I try soaking the whole thing in mineral spirits. I had seen that sticky about cosmoline but had hoped the previous owner had already done that since I didnt find a whole lot of it anywhere. Ill report back what I find with the pencil.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Hopefully it is just a bit of hardened up cosmoline overlooked by the previous owner or lack of lube cause if not then it may be something a bit more problematic and that is never good.
vaxio

Post by vaxio »

how did yall dry the mineral spirits up after soaking? does it just evaporate on its own?
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Yes it will. After letting it soak for a good while, such as overnight, inspect all the little nooks and crannies and bearing surfaces. If it looks like there is still any globs of cosmo then a brushing with a toothbrush is warranted which I would do anyway. Once that is done if you have some compressed air give it some bursts on the tiny parts. After that, you can put it in a rather hot water bath for a couple of minutes and then let it air dry or blast it dry with compressed air. If the water is hot enough it will make the gun hot enough so that the water evaporates very quickly from all the hard to dry areas. Then oil and lube and see if the problem is resolved.
vaxio

Post by vaxio »

I'm guessing this requires more than just a field strip, so I can get at and dry all the parts?
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Not really. You have to take the grips off before the spirits bath so it does not hurt the grips. And if you use hot enough water you will not have to dry it. The hot water will evaporate off the hot metal long before it can cause any rust. Just like rinsing metal dishes with really hot water out of hot dishwater. The compressed air just helps get the water off sooner. And it leaves the metal very clean so that fresh oil / grease does not get contanimated by old oil or grease.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Ketchman wrote:you should lube the hammer pivot and put a small drop into the firing pin hole
I've got 2 questions about this (here and from an earlier post above): 1) Do you really think it a good idea to put any lube of any type in the firing pin channel? I've always been of the school of thought (as have many others I know and have read) that that is a bad idea because it could tend to attract debris and clog/rub the firing pin causing trouble with misfiring.

The second question is poster Tech 1 said he put a new firing pin and spring into his P-64. Where did he get the parts?!?! I thought most were almost impossible to find with the exception of the springs that Norm Sutton makes? I'd love a good source for parts for these pistols!!! THANKS!
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke