P64 failing to return to battery

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
96sexton

P64 failing to return to battery

Post by 96sexton »

Hello Everyone,

I received a replacement P64 from CAI as the original one had a faulty slide stop.
The 1968 they sent me is in pretty good condition. Have taken her to the range twice now and probably somewhere near 200 rounds and today it would not return to battery. Sometimes the slide would stay in the back position as if I had an empty mag in, even when I took the mag out it would not return to the front.
Other times I would try to chamber around and it would not return to full battery.
Anyone know what is going on?

I thought these guns were tanks and now it seems like I am about to go through my second one in a couple of months.

Any thoughts would help

Best,
Kevin
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: P64 failing to return to battery

Post by Weasel640 »

Check the manual: http://p64resource.com/board/P64_%20Assembly_Manual.pdf

Look at page 58, if your slide stop and spring don't look like that, follow the steps on pages 54-59. If it does look right you may have a weak slide stop spring, as noted Norm sells replacements.

You may also have a worn/weak recoil spring if it's not going into battery when unimpeded. And/or you need to clean the gunk out of it better. The sometime come gunked up with cosmoline. Cosmo can often time cause allot of problems. There are lots of post on how to clean the cosmo out.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
96sexton

Post by 96sexton »

The spring looks good to me, and I just put on a new heavier recoil spring so that can't be in. I also put on the original just to make sure. I don't think its cosmoline but I have noticed the gun is dirty, even after I clean it, I will leave it for a few days and it seems that the Hoppes 9 loosens up some old crap. Could this be happening because of how dirty it is?

I just want to know if I should go after century about a replacement or if this is something that I can solve in house

Thanks a lot

Kevin
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

96sexton,
I had to soak mine in kerosene over night to get the cosmoline off of it. About 90% of the time, when these guns don't function properly, it's because they are dirty. The tolerances are VERY close. After soaking it try using some Lucas assembly lube or Lucas gun oil on it if you can find it. The assembly lube you can always find at Autozone and the oil. which is much lighter they are still selling although they say they are going to stop selling it (don't know why) and, after awhile, you'll find it as smooth as butter. Everyone talked about grinding and polishing mine to get it to feed properly and to get the safety to lighten up but all I did was clean it thoroughly and throw the Lucas to it. Today my safety is smoother than my Smith and it hasn't had a FTF/FTE in a LONG time. these are great little guns, don't give up. You'll be glad you made the effort, trust me. Stay safe and have fun.
Bill
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Yeah sound like you are dealing with a cosmo issue. Often time people think they got it all out but didn't.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.