Weird issue with my P64 decocker/safety

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
gemini1

Weird issue with my P64 decocker/safety

Post by gemini1 »

The P64 I got from AIMs recently, has been flawless the first time I shot it.
However I noticed an issue with the safety/decocker.
When I function check the decocker/safety with a full 6 round mag in, the decocker will not drop the hammer. The firing pin does get blocked by the safety, just that the hammer stays cocked. So kinda like having a 1911 type pistol.
If I reduced the mag to 3 rounds, or remove the mag, the decocker works all the time.
It seems like the spring tension of a full mag, pushes the slide upwards a few thousandth of an inch, which keeps the disconnector from disengaging the sear?

Any suggestions? Im thinking hammering the area of the disconnector that engages the sear?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Weird issue with my P64 decocker/safety

Post by Curly1 »

I would call AIM and have them fix or replace it.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

Would AIM replace/take it back if its been over 30 days? Trouble is, Im from the peoples republik of Kalifornia. Even if AIMs replaces it, it would need to be DROS again, and I doubt AIM will pay for the DROS fees and taxes.

I can confirm the issue is the spring tension from the mag. When I press or applied pressure between slide and frame, the decocker works.
Another possibility I just thought of, is to clip the mag spring to relieve some tension. Although it may not be a good idea, since over time the spring will get weaker.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Do you only have one mag?

Check the mag spring and see if it was put in backwards.

A guy in Poland sells the mag springs.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =453533986
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Or your disconnector could be worn and need replacement/adjustment. If you search for that, you will find info on it.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

I have 3 mags, one came new from Poland via Laukart. Yeah its either I clip the springs and maybe just get spares, or get a spare disconnector and mod what I have now to put a little more meat on the area that releases the sear.
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

gemini1 wrote:Would AIM replace/take it back if its been over 30 days? Trouble is, Im from the peoples republik of Kalifornia. Even if AIMs replaces it, it would need to be DROS again, and I doubt AIM will pay for the DROS fees and taxes.

I can confirm the issue is the spring tension from the mag. When I press or applied pressure between slide and frame, the decocker works.
Another possibility I just thought of, is to clip the mag spring to relieve some tension. Although it may not be a good idea, since over time the spring will get weaker.

I agree with Gary, before I started clipping springs or making other modifications, I would first check with Aim and see if they will repair or replace it. They are pretty good folks to work with. Each part of the weapon depends on every other part in order to function correctly. A problem like you described is a definite safety issue, and one I don't recall ever having come across before, and could easily result in an accidental discharge. Even if Aim won't cover the fees a few bucks isn't worth a life.
Bill
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

Update: Its working now!!

I took the disconnector out. With a piece of 2 x 2 solid steel as an anvil, laid the disconnector on one side, and with the head of 4" bolt, on top of the area the engages the sear, gave it 4 - 5 gentle whacks. Flipped it over and did the same. Then tap both sides with a hammer, making sure the disco is straight, cleaned it a bit, reassembled the pistol.
Tested with the 3 mags I have, and even with one round in the chamber plus the full mags, she now functions the way she should.

Next thing to note is how long will it last, or a new issue pops up?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Good news, give us a range report!
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

gemini1
Excellent !!! Let us know how it shoots. Stay safe my friend.
Bill
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

Hit the range yesterday and tried my test reloads. Trimmed 9x19 brass with cast 93 grains from MBC and AA#2. 10 rounds at 4.0 grains, 10 at 3.7 and 30 rounds at 3.8 grains. All rounds were at 0.955 COAL. I also brought along my remaining box of Silver Bear and RWS, Plus 6 rounds of Hornady FTX.
For every mag, after loading one in the chamber, I hit the decock and shot DA, decocker worked everytime. Target was a 1 x 1 1/2 yellow stick on, at 7 yards its 1 - 3 rounds on target and the rest around it. There was even a couple of stick on with 5 round hits! I must say, I am very pleased with this gun. While I just recently found the correct grip/hold on my double stack S&W (which Ive been shooting for years), I must say, this little P64 just points naturally. Without doing any grip adjustment, Im hitting my targets!
Oh and to add, I took out the Hogue JR handall grip. While it does minimize the snappiness, I didn't like the bulging sides. I replaced it with a bike's inner tube, with a Dr Sholls shoe insert pad, cut to shape and placed on the back of the grip. This one's much better, doesn't feel sticky like Hogues'.