Increased magazine capacity

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Sowa

Increased magazine capacity

Post by Sowa »

Hi all, I successfully increased the magazine capacity to feed and function flawlessly with 7 rounds and 1 in the chamber. Ill post up a youtube video as soon as I can find a camera.

The follower needs to be cut down roughly 2 mm. The spring needs to be cut 2 rungs and the gun at this point will run 8 rounds no problem ( that's 7 mag 1 tube) in order for the slide catch to work after this mag modification the slide lever spring needs to be replaced with a weaker spring. The weaker slide catch spring will not interfere with the pistol function whatsoever and the magazine will feed as fast as you can pull the trigger.

(View the pictures from bottom to top)
Attachments
Follower is tight and pushing hard on the top of the mag
Follower is tight and pushing hard on the top of the mag
1378845395474.jpg (30.26 KiB) Viewed 18426 times
Here is the standard 6 in the mag
Here is the standard 6 in the mag
1378845333087.jpg (32.13 KiB) Viewed 18426 times
Here is the extra 7th round in a full mag
Here is the extra 7th round in a full mag
1378845326303.jpg (30.72 KiB) Viewed 18426 times
7 mag 1 in the chamber
7 mag 1 in the chamber
1378845255040.jpg (37.18 KiB) Viewed 18426 times
Totally sealed, tight and in line
Totally sealed, tight and in line
1378845168431.jpg (33.84 KiB) Viewed 18426 times
Last edited by Sowa on September 19th, 2013, 8:36 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Increased magazine capacity

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.

Looking forward to your pics and description on how that was done.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

Maybe a "magazine stretcher"? :lol:
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
Sowa

Post by Sowa »

The magazine is large enough. Even without modification a seventh round almost fits in the post 72 mags.
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

So, tell us about the modification which you did.
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Yes inquiring minds want to know.

Pics of said modification would also be appreciated.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
WayniacKT

Post by WayniacKT »

did you ever get a vid done on this? I'm certainly interested.
EMS

Post by EMS »

I'm wondering if you could replace the P64 magazine spring with a new smaller spring, after all the the P64 magazine had a spring designed 50 years ago, we have different materials now.

Someone should ask Wolff Gunsprings http://www.gunsprings.com/ to check this idea.
whitelightning777

Post by whitelightning777 »

I have trimmed the follower on a 5 round AK magazine to make it hold 10 rounds. In principle, this should work on any gun. I would, of course, have spare magazines first.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Oh man, I HATE to sound like somebody's momma, but I just have to ask: Is this truly a good idea? I mean, depending on intended purpose, could this be an accident waiting to happen?

The magazines were designed for 6 rounds. I'd like more, too, but the designers didn't. Now, I know, I know 40-50 years and all, but the springs in there now are designed to function with 6 bullets. You're talking about adding another round (maybe 2?) AND reducing the spring strength. Get what I'm talking about now?

Wolffe offers higher % power springs for magazines. I don't remember ever seeing lower % power springs offered. Wonder why...? So it seems to me, and again it's just my opinion, but lowering the spring power while raising the weight of the bullet load might not be the best idea?

Range and recreational shooting? Probably no big deal. But if you're trying to increase the gun's capacity by re-engineering the magazine on your own for defensive use, I don't know that I'd feel as comfortable about that. But I just wanted to mention it and please do what you think.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I would say that YMMV making mods to your mags.

If you can get them to run w/o any problems and you can rely on them for CCW with the brand of ammo you arr going to carry then that is the important take away here.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Curly1 wrote:I would say that YMMV making mods to your mags.

If you can get them to run w/o any problems and you can rely on them for CCW with the brand of ammo you arr going to carry then that is the important take away here.
And again, being the "negative Nellie" here, "If you can get them to run w/o any problems and you can rely on them..." until you can't. :cry: I'm speaking from the same viewpoint as the one that says it's very bad Ju-Ju to use your own reloads for SD concealed carry use. Commercially available, professionally manufactured ammo ONLY to prevent any unintended "surprises"....
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

robhic wrote:to prevent any unintended "surprises"....
Like lawsuits.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Curly1 wrote:
robhic wrote:to prevent any unintended "surprises"....
Like lawsuits.
Yes and misfires and any and all other human error that can be had in the "roll your owns" as opposed to street proven (LEO) Golden Sabre, Gold Dot, HST, etc. that have a proven track record. Maybe it's just me but seems like awfully good practice....
- Robert

gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

Or maybe, instead of cutting the OEM spring, try the ones for the Bersa 380's designed to hold 7 rounds, and cut that one instead? Maybe those currently made springs may have the design/tolerance different from the old P64 springs? At least if it doesn't work, you still have the OEM to fall back on.

I did cut/reduced the length of one of my mag follower, but I didn't want to cut the spring, until I can get one of the Bersa springs to play with.