P-64 not chambering

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Tufrthnails

P-64 not chambering

Post by Tufrthnails »

Hey guys been a while since I have been on. Here are a couple of pics of how far it is chambering. I fired about 200 rounds through it the other night and with about 20 rounds left it started not wanting to chamber it. So I figured it was dirty I cleaned it and it is still not chambering. Ideas, comments requests for more pics. This is my carry weapon so I need it to work flawlessly which it has up until now.
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: P-64 not chambering

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

Try different ammunition.
Put in a stronger hammer spring.
Re-clean the chamber and the feed ramp.
Put the damn toilet seat down! :lol:
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Might also check/clean/oil the breech face and make sure that nothing has obstructed the extractor claw. Might also check that the firing pin is fully retracting so that the rear of the cartridge isn't catching on a protruding firing pin.

While I don't think it's likely, this could cause issues similar to what you're seeing. A sticky/protruding firing pin could also cause "slam fires."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Tufrthnails

Post by Tufrthnails »

Already replaced hammer spring and recoil spring. took the dremel and a soft brush attachment to the feed ramp last night to shine it up. the Firing pin is not protruding had to check but it is not. tried 4 different types of ammo (glazer, wolf silverbear HP, wolf brown bear FMJ, and hornaday HP) all have same results occasionally one will chamber maybe 1 out of ten times. OH and that is the kids bathroom toilet seat stays up!
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

Tufrthnails,
Take your mag apart and thoroughly clean the inside, the follower, and stretch the spring out a little. I had that issue with mine and it usually eats whatever I feed it. That follower needs to respond immediately and move freely and, being that it's a blow back design, they get dirty really quickly. I now clean my mag every time I clean my weapon and the problem has not presented itself since. After cleaning, put a couple of drops of whatever oil you use on a cotton ball and use a small screwdriver and push it through. If that doesn't help check to see that the upper lips of your mag(s) aren't bent. Hope that helps.
Bill
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
Tufrthnails

Post by Tufrthnails »

Thanks I will give that a shot I tried all three of my mags but they havn't been broken down and cleaned in quite a while.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

If you jam the slide forward does it chamber (make sure you point in a safe direction)?

Does the slide move freely with the magazine removed?

I'd suspect you have some galling along the breach face and may need to do some light filing.
Tufrthnails

Post by Tufrthnails »

No it will not chamber without taking the mag out and pulling back slightly then it falls in the to chamber.
jacklove44

Post by jacklove44 »

We see this periodically in the shop. Every time it has been a fouled magazine not allowing the follower to track true in the mag body. Previous response was absolutely correct. Take mag apart, clean thoroughly, and apply small amount of oil inside the body.
Jack's Guns
Tufrthnails

Post by Tufrthnails »

I took two of the mags apart and cleaned them. They were VERY dirty, which is bad on me I used to clean all three every couple of times I went to the range. That didn't fix the issue but I sure it helped because they needed it a lot more then I would have thought. so I am uploading pics and lots of them. one mag appears to be bent in ever so slightly on the right corner lip, but neither mag is feeding so I don't think that is causing the issue. This gun has been heavily used I have well over 2000 round through it myself and I bought it used the previous owner filled down the bar for the decocker. but other then that nothing else was done to it that I could tell. I replaced hammer spring and recoil spring. I have a spring for the slide stop but have not replaced it yet.
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

Could the feed ramp use a little more buffing? Maybe with Flitz?

And, just out of curiosity, what kind of ammo is that?
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
Sowa

Post by Sowa »

Your feed ramp looks messed up in the picture the angle of it is very important. Aside from that it seems your magazines may not be seating or feeding correctly. Perhaps the recoil spring is too heavy. Try propping the mag up (hold it up in place) when at the range see if its not seated properly when firing it. Take a solid look at your mag spring how it buckles and expands it might not be moving the bullets up and into position properly.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

That feed ramp looks like it has a big crack in it, but it's difficult to tell from the pictures.
EMS

Post by EMS »

You have a P64 built in the year 1967. It might be a problem with the mags. The Poles changed the construction of the P64 around 1972 and made the feed lips on the magazines slightly longer which will cause feeding problems if you stick a "new" (post 1972) P64 mag into an "old" (pre 1972) P64. "Old" magazines will cause no problems in a "new" pistol.

Here is a picture i found on the internet for comparison.
Attachments
2 P64 mags
2 P64 mags
Daddyursus

Post by Daddyursus »

Thanks for the info, Gregory