P-64 Slamfires

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
SpinKiller

P-64 Slamfires

Post by SpinKiller »

1969 Polish P-64 went off, with the safety on, while chambering a round. I know this has been brought up before....I read that the firing pin can rotate then stick?
Anyway, if you could help me with some ideas about this problem. And it isn't dirty at all, or full of cosmoline, though I will soak it if everything else fails.
Thanks!
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: P-64 Slamfires

Post by juniustaylor »

Sounds like an interesting problem. I haven't heard of the firing pin sticking out the bolt face and hitting a primer on the way into battery. I wonder if your firing pin is a bit long on the back side and sticks out the safety (guards) when it's on SAFE. If so, the hammer could contact the firing pin but should have not caused it to go off because the firing pin should have been retained by the safety.

The firing pin has a nub on one side of it. When the safety is in SAFE, this nub on the firing pin is retained and won't allow the firing pin to move forward. Your nub is possibly broken off. You may need to disassemble to slide enough to get the safety and firing pin out.

Keep us posted on what you find. ;)
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
SpinKiller

Post by SpinKiller »

Sorry, but I am a brand new P-64 owner.....need instructions ...can you give me a clue on dissassembly? I do have some home smithing experiance...let me know where to find instructions.
Thanks!
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

SpinKiller, I made videos here - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4200

Start with the first video, that deals with slide dis/reassembly.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Or you can watch this video that I made. This is the easier method, using forceps/hemostats. Whatever you want to call them.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Or the slightly harder method.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum, you came to the right place.

A lot of good peeps and info here.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

At least it's easier to do a complete dis-assembly of the slide on the P-64 vs the P-83.

If I were you I'd first take the slide off and look in the under side around the safety/firing pin area while manipulating the safety. It might give you an idea of what is going on. My best guess is that the firing pin may be installed incorrectly where nub is not facing left. See pages 12 and 13 of the board manual.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I'll have to take another look at it. I'm pretty sure the firing pin is keyed with that nub so it can only go in one way. I will have to look at mine. Unless some person put the nub facing down which I'm not sure if it can do that. I'll post back with my findings, I'll try to purposely install my FP wrong.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

What I found is that yes, you can install the firing pin in wrong. It will go in with the nub facing down in the channel that is cut in the bottom of the slide. HOWEVER, the safety will not even function if this is the case. You seriously need to take the slide apart and look at your firing pin to see if it is broken. If everything checks out, then you've got some sort of freak accident that can't be reproduced.

Pictures:
Firing pin and Safety.

How they would be meshed together in FIRE position.

How they would be meshed together in SAFE position.

If your firing pin has the nub, there is no way it would go anywhere in SAFE.

Is there a spring on the firing pin? Is this the first time you've taken it out to shoot it? Let us know what condition your gun is in and these parts. Post pictures if you're able to.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

SpinKiller

Post by SpinKiller »

Thank you soo much guys! I took it the fireing pin out, and sure enough, broken right under the nub!
I was wondering how the hammer cam in contact with the fireing pin....in my case it couldn't.
I will try to post a pic as soon as I firgure out how.
Thanks again,
SpinKiller
SpinKiller

Post by SpinKiller »

Here is a pic. of the broken pin.
Attachments
Broken firing pin
Broken firing pin
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

Great call Junius!! I guess a firing pin could be broken like that for who knows how long and everythings works great until you go to use the decocker---.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

No doubt fully machined! It could remain undetected until someone used the decocker, you wouldn't think anything different. SpinKiller someone on here had a listing in the Buy/Sell/Trade. He was selling some parts as a single lot for $40. One item was a firing pin. Otherwise, if you just want a firing pin, they run $25 + shipping on http://www.gunbroker.com. I am glad to have had a good suspicion.

I'm sure the firing pin sticks out a hair when on SAFE. Nothing that would really cause any alarm as the nub is supposed to keep the pin from moving. However, with the nub broken and the forward inertia of the hammer, it could more than likely force the firing pin to slam forward and strike a primer which was your case. I'm glad there were no injuries.