Limp Trigger

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
lklawson

Re: Limp Trigger

Post by lklawson »

OK, results. I had filed the contact area down a wee bit. Not a lot. Just a little at a time :) While I had it apart, I decided to do something about that stiff safety so I very slightly rounded the point on the Safety Detent. Everything went well and I put her back together. I went to the range after my Orthopedist appointment this morning. 50 rounds downrange.

The problem is still there but not as dramatic. Fewer limp trigger malfunctions. <good> But still some. <bad> The odd thing is that I have four magazines. I think they're all original. They all look identical and have the appearance of age. However, only one of the mags has a SN engraved on it. Anyway, all mags are 100% with the other ammo I've used just not the Brown Bear. However, the serial numbered mag didn't have any limp trigger malfunctions. Because I only ran 50 rounds, that means that I only ran each mag twice so this could just be a coincidence. Nevertheless, there were fewer trigger disconnect malfunctions.

I did experience another malfunction several times, though. Safety dropped.

Fooey. I took care not to round the detent "too much," just smooth it a bit, really. But apparently it was too much anyway.

My current plan is to file the disconnect location on the slide a little more and to find a replacement spring for the Safety Detent. It seemed very short and didn't require much effort to compress it. I've considered stretching it but I don't really want to do that because I believe that it weakens the spring in the long run. So I'll avoid stretching the spring unless I can't find an acceptable replacement in my box-o-goodies.

So, in conclusion, I think this is progress but not a cure.

Maybe I should just swear off Brown Bear in this gun. :P

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

That is a start that it is getting better. That's lousy about the spring. Could you stretch it a hair, then re-temper it so the "spring" of it resets? Probably more work than it's worth just to acquire a new one. That's lousy that the safety activates. The detent on mine, I filed rather extensively and I've never had an issue. Crazy! If you could keep one of those Brown Bear cases, (especially one that caused a limp trigger) I think you could use it when you do the file work. Stick the emptied case into the chamber and keep checking it until it feels like it will reliably allow the trigger bar to make contact with the hammer.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

juniustaylor wrote:That is a start that it is getting better. That's lousy about the spring. Could you stretch it a hair, then re-temper it so the "spring" of it resets? Probably more work than it's worth just to acquire a new one.
I think I may have one of similar size in my collection that I'd just have to trim down. Have to check.
That's lousy that the safety activates. The detent on mine, I filed rather extensively and I've never had an issue. Crazy! If you could keep one of those Brown Bear cases, (especially one that caused a limp trigger) I think you could use it when you do the file work. Stick the emptied case into the chamber and keep checking it until it feels like it will reliably allow the trigger bar to make contact with the hammer.
That's a good idea. Wish I'd thought of it so that I could have saved a case when I was shooting.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

But if you get it to work with the brown bear will it still work with other brands?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Curly1 wrote:But if you get it to work with the brown bear will it still work with other brands?
Yes.

It's an issue with the out-of-battery "sensor" being just a smidge too sensitive. Filing down the contact point on the slide makes it less sensitive by exactly the amount filed off. If I file off even as much as 0.1 mm, then it should still be within tolerances for 9x18 Makarov. If I filed off 1.00 mm, then it would be so far out of spec that the out-of-battery would not engage even if I chambered a 9x19 NATO, which would be "bad" I'm told ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Last edited by lklawson on January 22nd, 2013, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Latest report.

I filed the contact area a little bit more. I wanted to be careful and not be too aggressive so I took it slow. Spent about 30 minutes slowly filing until I'd worn it down another fraction of a millimeter. Then I found a compression coil spring in my box-o-springs. I'm pretty sure it's from a disposable lighter. It was almost exactly the same coil diameter as the original Safety Detent Spring but a little bit lighter gauge. Because of the lighter gauge, I cut it about 50% longer than the original spring. Everything back together smoothly (thank you Mr. Taylor for the vids) and everything seemed to be functioning properly so... Off to the range!

Took my 11 yo son & his SR22 Ruger, my TCP 738 to function check some Gold Dots, and 4 loaded P64 mags full of the same troublesome Brown Bear ammo.

The ammo shot perfectly. No limp triggers at all.

However, I still had the safety drop 4 times, three times on mag #3 and once on mag #4. Fooey.

I think I'm going to have to tear it apart, check and clean the Detent channel, and maybe spend some time reprofiling and smoothing the Detent.

It's still as accurate as the day is long. I tore up the 10 ring at 21 feet, quick fire (well, OK, 2 fliers in the 9). And it still kicks like a mule. The 738, which is also unprecedentedly accurate for such an bitty pistol with such lousy sights, is way softer shooting and more comfortable, even with the Gold Dots, than the beloved good ol' Polish Pounder.

Anyway, I pronounce the Limp Trigger issue SOLVED.

Now for the cotton-pick'n Safety Detent (grrr...)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Good news, good luck on the safety.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I'm glad to hear your issue of not firing the Brown Bear ammo is resolved. That is good news. You may probably have to get a better spring or as you said, reshape the point on your detent plunger.

I am also glad the videos were of good use to you.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

I've reprofiled the Plunger to have a sharper angle and be less rounded than what I had smoothed it to. Slightly stretched the original compression coil spring. Reinstalled. Feels tighter. Similar to what I recall it feeling before I polished it the first time. Hopefully it will be good to go now.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk