Trigger bar crack

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Hinermad

Trigger bar crack

Post by Hinermad »

Have any of you folks seen this happen?

I had just finished shooting in a basic pistol class. When I tore my P-64 down to clean it I noticed the trigger bar was nearly broken in two just below the edge of the chamber. It wasn't like that the day before the class so I have to assume shooting it that day caused the crack.

I already have a replacement and I'm just about to put it in. I just wondered if anyone else has seen this happen.

Dave
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Trigger bar crack

Post by Curly1 »

I am suspicous of the dark brown coloring and the break being almost in the middle of it. Does that clean off?

Is it riding too close to the rails maybe?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Hinermad

Post by Hinermad »

The brown color doesn't come off with bore cleaner and a rag. I haven't tried anything more abrasive than a quick scrub with a brass bore brush.

Now that I've looked at the bar more closely, and seen a new one, I think the shiny part is where the slide was rubbing against the outer surface of the bar. The new bar, and the part of bar under the grip, are both blued. The hidden side of the bar is still mostly blued except along the edges, where it rubs against the frame.

I wonder if the metal got brittle from the heat of friction as the slide rubbed against it. You can't see it from the photo but the break was right at the edge of the fillet that the long pin sticks out of. That seems like a natural place for stress crack.

Anyway, the new bar is in and a quick function check went smoothly. I'll try to get to the range tomorrow and we'll see how it performs.

Dave
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

I just use some scothbrite and it comes right off.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Not sure if I'd go with friction / heat embrittlement. I would wonder if it was just a weak bar. When that thing has to pull the hammer to get it to come back in DA, it takes a lot of effort. I'd say if it were used DA too much in a "previous life" then it could have got really weakened. I'd say that friction certainly happens, but I just wouldn't think it would cause something like this.

Crazy.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

That looks interesting and somewhat familiar. My P64 started to develop a horrible trigger slap. My other P64 has it bad enough, but not like this. I really never knew how bad this could be until this pistol. The forward end of my trigger bar was catching on the slide. This caused the trigger to be propelled forward upon slide retract. Right where yours cracked and forward to where the cut out for the trigger bar to insert, the surface was raised. This was lifting the trigger bar out of the frame recess. It looked like it was somehow flared out here when the barrel was pressed in. Anyway it was high and I filled out the channel, put a nice slant file cut on the forward end of the trigger bar. Here is how I noticed it to start with, by comparing this pistol with my other. Both unloaded and assembled WITHOUT the recoilspring. My other pistol, upon pointing it straight up, the slide would fall down till it hit the disconnector in the frame. There was only a little resistance as the slide went back. On trigger slapper you had to pull it past this point and you could feel movement of the trigger itself. I also noticed that I could check how smooth my disconnector was working by doing this. I just posted on general discussion concerning trigger feel during firing.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Very good observations, I will have to check mine out using your procedure.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Hinermad

Post by Hinermad »

fully machined wrote:Both unloaded and assembled WITHOUT the recoilspring. My other pistol, upon pointing it straight up, the slide would fall down till it hit the disconnector in the frame. There was only a little resistance as the slide went back. On trigger slapper you had to pull it past this point and you could feel movement of the trigger itself.
Thanks! It's too late for me to try that with the old bar, but it feels like the slide operates more smoothly with the new one. I hope whatever caused the old one to fail isn't still present, but this gives me an idea of what to watch for.

Dave
64-426w

Post by 64-426w »

Yes I have seen a crack just like that!!! Mine did it about an hour ago.

Where can I get a replacement?

Edit** Thanks for the replies-I now have one on the way.

thanks, dk
Last edited by 64-426w on February 23rd, 2012, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Try Gunbroker there is a guy in Poland selling parts.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

I posted some info above, but “discovered” more. While observing the beautiful mechanical ballet of the P-64 and still wondering about trigger bar load, I watched this happen on my above mentioned trigger slapper. The grips were off and the pistol was fully assembled but without the recoil spring as performing these observations is easier. I pulled back the hammer, no finger on the trigger, and watched the inside portion of the hammer that looks like the end of a claw hammer slowly come into the end of my trigger bar, make contact, and then began to load my trigger bar resulting in a BOWING trigger bar. With the hammer cocked it is close, but the load started when I began to retract the slide over the cocked hammer. I thought – this does not look right. My other P-64’s were close to doing this, but no cigar. On the others with the hammer back I could finger the trigger bar down and it would pop right back up. I had to check this slowly moving the slide over the cocked hammer and finger down the trigger bar to see if it was free. This is where no recoil spring installed makes this a joy to look at. I then thought—when does this happen except when cocking the pistol or racking the slide on a loaded mag? There is always room here if the trigger is depressed any amount because that action moves the trigger bar forwards. If firing with a trigger hold back this is not a concern here, but with a quick trigger let off I believe this could happen. This helped my former trigger slapper which is now the easiest on my finger. . The trigger bar end has contours to match its up and down movement with the hammer. I contoured in the end of my trigger bar. It did not take much to relieve it. I also deburred the contact area of the hammer. This is long winded, but I forget stuff. Now thanks to the Resource I can look back. Now for something lighter----- A friend asked me if my P-64 kicked much. I told him to make a fist, loosen your fingers up so that there is a hole all the way through, insert cartridge, place cigarette lighter to primer.
Trigger Bar 010.jpg
Trigger Bar 011.jpg
64-426w

Post by 64-426w »

Thanks to this forum, Mr. Hinermad and Mr. Laukart I now have my P-64 working again. Every thing seems to work right and it feels good. I hope to try it out tomorrow or Monday.

Dennis