Why wont my slide go forward on an empty magazine

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Coco86

Why wont my slide go forward on an empty magazine

Post by Coco86 »

My p64 just came yesterday. Im getting a little confused. Why doesnt the slide go forward with an empty magazine inserted, but only when the mag is out will it go forward? I havent tried it with a loaded mag. Hopefully i dont have problems.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: Why wont my slide go forward on an empty magazine

Post by normsutton »

Coco86
that's the way they are suppose to work , put a loaded mag in it will close,once you pull the side back and let it go

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Coco86

Post by Coco86 »

Thanks Norm. Didnt think weapons were made to know when they are loaded or not. lol.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Coco86

there is a pin on the top of the hammer in the slide, when its out its loaded, when its in its not

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Coco, the follower on the magazine makes contact with the slide lock lever. This is the same piece that functions as the ejector. So, when you insert an empty magazine, the follower will push up on this lever and cause it to lock the slide rearward either when you manually pull it back or upon the last shot. You have 2 options. You can take the magazine out and pull the slide to the rear until you hear the click (slide lock disengaging) and release. Other option is to put in a loaded magazine. The rounds will have the follower compressed down into the magazine body. So, when you then pull the slide back until it clicks, you release it and it will close and take with it a loaded round into the chamber.

Norm is correct on the rod. When a round is in the chamber, you will see a pin protrude out by the hammer. When it is sticking out, the pistol has a cartridge in the chamber. When the pin is retracted into the slide, the chamber is "presumed" empty. ALWAYS verify it by pulling the slide back enough to make sure it is indeed empty.

:)
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Some photos, because I like to take them...

No Mag. (notice the nub on the slide lock lever, see where it is in relation to the ramp)

Empty Mag. (again, notice where the nub is. the shelf on the mag follower lifts the lever to lock the slide back.)
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
Coco86

Post by Coco86 »

Thanks Junius. You and Norm have helped me understand the p64 more. I appreciate the help.
Makarov-

Post by Makarov- »

Just remove the mag and then pull the slide back slightly it should snap right back into battery.
Repeal mandatory health insurance purchase language in the health care bill. Fines/jail are for criminal or civil misconduct. Insurance isn't a tax. By forcing this you betray public trust, ignore your constitution oaths, & are party to extortion.
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

I recall seeing an edition of "Veoneyee Boie" (sp) which discussed the evolution of the Makarov handgun.

The man giving the presentation (Maxim?) said that the Walther had a feature which required "two hands to chamber a round" but that the Makarov had a lever that allowed one handed operation.

He then demonstrated both handguns. The P-64 behaves just like the Walther. You have to insert a fresh magazine then draw back on the slide. In contrast you insert a fresh mag into the Makarov and then push down on that loading lever.

It's just a difference in the design... the P-64 seems to be closer to the original Walther is all.

Gene