Slide will not go into battery with a round chembered

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Sand_Man_56

Re: Slide will not go into battery with a round chembered

Post by Sand_Man_56 »

juniustaylor, thanks for your help. Do you think that our problem may be the disconnector moving the trigger bar down with a round in the chamber? It seems possible to me if the slide is slightly back, that would cause the disconnector to put enough pressure on the trigger bar to cause it to slip off the hammer.
MPs Lead the Way
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Sandman, I'm not quite sure I understand what you're asking.

The slide not returning back to the same position seems to be a normal occurrence. When it's empty compared to when it has a round in the chamber. It probably just has to do with the case length. It's not a defect or a flaw, it's just the way it was built.

The slide not going all the way forward if you "ride" the slide when it's on safe, I have not looked much into. If you lightly push on it, it will go forward. Mine does the same thing and yet again, I'm sure it's a normal function of the gun. May not be as another said "perfect design" but that's just the way it is. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the tension on the disconnector. It does have a steep angle, and when the safety is in the SAFE position, it has to force the disconnector down to decock the hammer as the slide returns to battery. In FIRE, the part of the safety that would contact the disconnector is cut away so that the hammer will stay cocked... thus there is no force that has to push on the disconnector.

If you have further concerns, you should probably take it to a "competent" gunsmith for evaluation.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
Sand_Man_56

Post by Sand_Man_56 »

Sorry for the confusion. Since it is normal for the slide to not go forward all the way with a round chambered, why will my pistol not fire double action with a round chambered? With a round chambered, and the grips removed, I can see that the disconnector is pushing the trigger bar away from the hammer. I have a spare trigger bar, so I may swap them out and see if the problem persists. I'm also curious if making the discommector shorter will elliminate the problem. I'll make some adjustments tonight and let you know what I found out.
MPs Lead the Way
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Great photos, Junius. I guess I never payed that much attention to the muzzle of my loaded gun before :)

@sand_man, have you pulled your safety out to inspect it? Have you disassembled the gun 100% and cleaned it thoroughly? Keep in mind that Junius pointed out that the slide is ~.5mm from full battery when loaded. If yours is more than this, there might be an issue. DO NOT go grinding on the disco until you have isolated the issue to it with certainty.
Sand_Man_56

Post by Sand_Man_56 »

I have disassemble the gun 100% and cleaned it very well. Everything looks good to go, except with a round chambered.
MPs Lead the Way
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I'd say if you can measure how much the slide lacks from being flush with the muzzle, that may sort of tell you where to go with it. If it's about the same as the numbers I posted, it "should" work and could have a failing part. However, if it is a larger amount than what I posted, I suppose it could be likely that the chamber was cut short and not allowing the cartridge to go in as far as it should. Which I would take it to a gunsmith at that point for him to rule that out and make necessary alterations to figure it out. Or see if the seller you got the pistol from will make it right and send you different one. < I'd try that first. Sometimes these little problems can be frustrating.

As long as the safety is on fire, it should allow the trigger to cause the hammer to fall in SA, or put it through the full range of motion during DA. The disconnector should be in it's UP position as the slide does not contact the disconnector, nor does the safety when it's in FIRE. Only when it is set to SAFE, does the safety push the disconnector down to decock the hammer. It will take some investigating for sure.
Sand_Man_56

Post by Sand_Man_56 »

Thanks again for your help! It means a lot to me. I will figure it out sooner or later. I'm going to use your advise.
MPs Lead the Way
Sand_Man_56

Post by Sand_Man_56 »

Ok,

After trying everything else, I have a solution. I filed off about 1mm from the top of the disconnector and the pistol functions great in DA. It appeared that with the slide on, the disconnector was putting enough pressure on the trigger bar to disconnect it from the hammer. DA trigger pull without a round chambered is also greatly improved. My conclusion is that on my pistol, the disconnector was too tall. This may not be the case on every pistol that has this problem, but this method fixed my problem.
MPs Lead the Way
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I had wondered that myself, that the disconnector was a shade too tall. Glad you have solved your issue! Does the safety still disengage the hammer when moved to SAFE?
Sand_Man_56

Post by Sand_Man_56 »

Thanks! The saftey still decocks the hammer and disengages the trigger bar quite a ways. It just seemed that the disconnector was too tall. Mine is a 1970 year, so I'm wondering if there are two different sized disconnectors?
MPs Lead the Way
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Mine is a 1970 year, so I'm wondering if there are two different sized disconnectors?
Not that I'm aware of, pretty sure they were all a standard size.
Sand_Man_56

Post by Sand_Man_56 »

Hmmm, I'll do some looking. I'm guessing it could also be the safety? I may never know, but at least I figured it out, with your help!
MPs Lead the Way
darrell

Post by darrell »

Mine will not come to full battery if I put a magazine in with the slide open and just let the slide go forward: but will if I rack the slide. iI is not in the fully forward postion the trigger will not reset. If the trigger resets you are probably in position. My trigger won't reset if I am 1/8" out.
Sand_Man_56

Post by Sand_Man_56 »

I'm confused. Do you have a problem or a suggestion?
MPs Lead the Way
pullthetrigger

Post by pullthetrigger »

Update:

Took the gun to the range, functions flawlessly, both single and double action.

Muzzle keeps sticking out. lol