Blew up my P64

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
sonoran_Tj

Blew up my P64

Post by sonoran_Tj »

The title is a slight exaggeration, but now you're here. A few years ago my dad bought a P64 at a gun show in Phoenix, and the guy selling it also sold him a lot of 120 grn Wolf 9x18 (you can see where this is going...). The handgun ran great for a long time, we put several hundred rounds through it without any problems, except for having a stiff trigger. We did the Wolff hammer spring mod for a much better trigger pull. One day we were shooting out in Eastern Arizona with some family friends and the gun malfunctioned. My friend was shooting it when it made an odd sound when it shot, and there was a lot of smoke coming out of places where it shouldn't have. We unloaded it and stripped it to look for any damage. The only thing we could find wrong was that the extractor, extractor plunger, and spring were all missing. Everything else looks fine. No bulging barrel or bent parts, nothing else cracked, broken, or missing.
My question is, is it safe to shoot if I can find a new extractor for it? Assuming I can source the missing parts and install them, is there anything else on the gun I should check to make sure it is still operable? If it is safe, where can I find the missing parts?

TL,DR: Extractor was violently removed from gun. Is gun safe, and can I find a replacement extractor?

P.S. we bought another P64 because we really liked the little pistol, and we discontinued using the Wolf ammo.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Blew up my P64

Post by juniustaylor »

As for condition of the gun, you should probably see a gunsmith. Maybe you can get some other advice here on the matter.

As for parts, member "gunneyrabbit" was selling parts from a P-64 he has. You may send him a message to see if he still has these parts. If he does not, then you can try http://www.gunbroker.com.

Did the primer on that fired case have a hole in it or did you look?
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
sonoran_Tj

Post by sonoran_Tj »

We found the bad case, the primer looks normal. The case mouth has a tear in it where it looks like the mouth caught the extractor and got bent and torn.
Bird

Post by Bird »

I didn't know Wolf ammo was bad enough to blow your gun up. Jeez. Horrible.

So, what's the best 9x18? I have some Fiocchi & some Silver Bear, both FMJ & JHP. I've considered Buffalo Bore, but don't wanna blow my gun up!
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Bird wrote:I didn't know Wolf ammo was bad enough to blow your gun up. Jeez. Horrible.
Wolf brand ammo is not bad ammo. It's actually very usable ammo. The issue is that a 120 grain slugs is way over weight, like somewhere around 60% or 75% over weight. Most Makarov cartirdges are loaded with around a 90 or 95 grain slug.
So, what's the best 9x18? I have some Fiocchi & some Silver Bear, both FMJ & JHP. I've considered Buffalo Bore, but don't wanna blow my gun up!
They're all fine. The BB should be OK but I wouldn't shoot it out of either my P64 or my PA63 and I certainly wouldn't shoot it on a continuing basis.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

They'd really be around 25% overweight, the 120 grain would be if you figured a 95 grain bullet. Either way, whatever. I stick with reloads or any of the colors of Bear ammo. There was a feller on another forum that was experimenting with Buffalo Bore with a P-64. Don't know what ever happened with it, probably died off like most old topics do. I don't believe he had any ill effects. I probably wouldn't bother shooting the stuff personally. To each their own on that one.

Maybe someone can supply the link to the info on the Buffalo Bore in a P-64. Norm was a part of the forum. I can see if I can find it on good ole' Google.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

juniustaylor wrote:They'd really be around 25% overweight, the 120 grain would be if you figured a 95 grain bullet.
You're right. In my haste, I forgot to subtract the 75% figure from 100 to get the overage. :P

Doesn't pay to get too hastey.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Kirk, I figured that's what you did. :)
harley03joe

Post by harley03joe »

I Shoot This Round From http://www.classicarms.us

Quantity Description
HIGH QUALITY RUSSIAN 9X18 AMMO, 92 GRAIN WITH A BI-METAL CASE AND A BI-METAL FULL METAL JACKET, NON CORROSIVE, BERDAN PRIMED.... WORKS GREAT IN ALL CZ-82'S P-64'S AND OTHER MAKAROV PISTOLS.....
50 ROUNDS / COMMERCIAL BOX..........
ITEM # RUSS-9X18 .....50 ROUND BOX.....$9.19
500 ROUND CASE.....$89.90 .....1000 ROUND CASE .....$175.00

Harley03joe 8)
vincewarde

Post by vincewarde »

Having spent way to much time crafting 9x18 ammo using cut down 9x19 brass and hard cast bullets, the obvious problem with going heavier than about 100 grains is that you have to seat the bullet deeper in the case. The 9x18 was designed for short bullets seated much deeper than either the .380 or the 9x19.

I am sure that it can be done, but I would never attempt it. My guess is that 120 gr round nose bullets seated deep enough to cycle would develop excessive pressure. Buffalo Bore offers a 115gr hard cast - but looking at the pictures it is obvious that the bullet is shaped to get around this problem. It's cone shaped and sticks out much farther than most 9x18 ammo. I would be concerned that it might not fit in my magazines or feed properly (although once in the chamber, I trust it would be safe). And that's a 115gr. projectile - 120 grain would be worse.

If I ever carry my P64 as a defensive firearm, I will use a 95gr load.