Bluing Removal

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
probyt

Bluing Removal

Post by probyt »

What method would I use to remove bluing from my p-64 for the purpose of either rebluing or plating. I have used lead away rag before, but that seemed labor intensive. :-/
Last edited by probyt on February 11th, 2010, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boomer

Bluing Removal

Post by boomer »

I use Navel Jelly rust remover with success or soaking in Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner also works well. I am not kidding about the Lysol and that is the only brand that will work. It also works great at cleaning out bore crud from age as well. Try It before you laugh! It will take a while but the house won't get stinky. Get one of those aluminum 5 inch disposable cake dishes and give it an over night soak.

Mike
stover

Bluing Removal

Post by stover »

Hum, wonder if that would clean the 50 years of crud out of the bore on my Tokarev. Looks like they packed it in cosmoline with a dirty bore many years ago.
probyt

Bluing Removal

Post by probyt »

Thanks boomer, I would never have dreamed of that.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Bluing Removal

Post by juniustaylor »

I have used the Birchwood Casey Rust/Blue Remover with excellent results. Removed it right down to the steel within minutes. I don't know how long the Naval Jelly has to sit. You might give the Birchwood Casey stuff a try.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
boomer

Bluing Removal

Post by boomer »

The Navel Jelly and Birchwood Casey Blue remover are pretty much the same chemical composition. Both are very aggressive and will yield quick results. The Lysol Toilet Bowl cleaner soak gets into all the little crevasses and metal imperfections in my results. It has given better re blueing results as it is a very good degreaser as well. Give it a try you might be pleasantly surprised with the results.
kragluver

Bluing Removal

Post by kragluver »

Something else that works well is Muratic Acid. Start by putting the parts in water. Then slowly add acid until you start to see bubbles. The bluing is gone in seconds. Remove the parts and rinse in clean water. I wouldn't leave the parts in too long or else you may etch them. I have rust blued a couple of guns now and I've used this method to get the old bluing off odd-shaped parts.
probyt

Bluing Removal

Post by probyt »

The more I think about it, the more I think about bead blast and parkerizing. Any body done this?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Bluing Removal

Post by normsutton »

probyt

I have done glass bead blasting on many of my refinishing , works good

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Bluing Removal

Post by blinddog »

I have used Cirtistrip. This stuff will take off duracoat if you let it sit song eneough. After useing Citristrip, Citristrip Stop has to be applied or it will strip for who knows how long.