My P64 Grip Reduction Project

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
radionicist

Post by radionicist »

I've loved shooting my P-64 but I always felt it needed a smaller grip. My hands are small, and I found the reach to the trigger to be marginal for comfortable double-action use. After searching for smaller replacement grips, I dediced to modify the stock grips on my gun.

My goal was to reduce the width of the grips from the midpoint of the backstrap to the magazine release. I guessed that doing so would reduce the reach to the trigger and improve the pointability of the pistol.

I started with a close examination of the interior of the grip panels:

It looked to me that I could remove between 1/8" and 3/16" of material without interferring with the operation of the mainspring or magazine. But first, I had to fill the area of the grip near the magazine release so that I would wind up with a flat backstrap after filing and grinding. I used JB Weld as filler material; it's easy to work, sets relatively quickly, and is easy to sand. Plus I already had some. :)

After filling and waiting for the JB Weld to set up, I taped off the basic contours of the grip so that I didn't remove too much material:

That blue painter's tape is great stuff. I used a plastic bag to protect the rest of the pistol and keep the dust and debris out of the gun.

I used a set of coarse and fine files and a couple of grits of sandpaper to do my shaping. You could use a Dremel tool if you were careful, but I find a flat tool helps to keep the shape you end with in symmetry. I also chose to do the shaping with the grips on the gun, but if you're worried about nicking your blued steel beauty, you could remove the grips.

This is what the backstrap looked like as I was nearing completion of the shaping. The gray square is where I had sanded through the grip itself into the filler material. Also, though it is hard to see, I was able to reshape the radius of the curve at the top of the grips, which also helped with the reach to the trigger.

Finally, I found a guy who would Duracoat the grips for me inexpensively (think $10 shipped), so I sent them off. I installed them on the gun yesterday, and this is how it looks:

I couldn't wait to try out the grips, so I headed to the range at lunchtime today. I ran a box of Silver bear through the pistol without a hitch, and I loved the way the gun felt in my hand. The reach to the trigger delivered a much smoother double action pull, and I found the pointability of the pistol was much improved.

I think I've fixed the main problem I had with the P-64 (well, the new main problem, after replacing the recoil and mainsprings), and it only cost about $15. I'm pleased with the outcome!

Hope you enjoyed seeing this post.

Tony
Sgt P

Post by Sgt P »

Tony,
Excellent work on the grip reduction. Now I have super large hands and I am wondering if a grip reduction would be possible?
Do you find that the reduction seated the rear of the frame into a better, or more secure fit into the palm of you hand? ???

Besides better pointability and easier reach to the trigger, are you able to choke up on the tiny P-64 without the slide bite that many of us here on the forum experience? >:(

I have used JB weld on many things. A broken combat knifes hilt while overseas, then used it on the pommel as well. Great stuff.
Thanks for your sharing this task with us here on the forum ;) Sgt P.
radionicist

Post by radionicist »

Thanks for the kind words, Sarge. And, thanks for your service!

The grip reduction definitely made my grip on the gun more secure. My hands are so small that I had no trouble with slide bite before making the modification, and I think reshaping the upper grip radius helped that, too.

I'm not sure of how this mod would work for those with larger hands; my main reason for making the changes was to reduce the length of pull on the double-action trigger, and it is much better now. If you have long (or even average!) finger length, the modification may be of no help.
electross

Post by electross »

Great post. I thinking on this one. This is definetly something to consider if the reach for the trigger isn't quite what a person might like. Nice job.
handsmahoney

Re: My P64 Grip Reduction Project

Post by handsmahoney »

I hate to necro a near 7 year old thread, but does anyone have a link the the original photos?