How long for easy off

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

How long for easy off

Post by blinddog »

I am restripping my M44 and I have heard tht easyoff works really good. I plan on using it this weekend if I can. However, I have no idea of how long to leave it on or how to remove it. Help please!! ??? ???( I am pretty sure that there is still cosmo in the wood or something from the packing, who knows?)
rick9plus

How long for easy off

Post by rick9plus »

Hi blinddog:

This link should answer all of your questions regarding the EasyOff method of stripping/cleaning up a rifle stock:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu60.htm

Here's another one that might help:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu74.htm

Good Luck!

Rick9Plus
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

How long for easy off

Post by blinddog »

Hey, rick9plus, thanks for the info. I have used Citrus Strip. but if the wood isn't clean it shows up alot of stuff that you don't want to show up. You are a good man. :)
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

How long for easy off

Post by dfunk »

I baked my stock in the oven on low. The cosmoline leaked right out and I was able to finish with no problem.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

How long for easy off

Post by blinddog »

dickfunk
I tried that, however the stock is too long and will not fit in my over. (its small, my wife said "now, do you see why I wanted to get a new oven?) I don't think it had anything in the world to do with my M44 stock. However :-X
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

How long for easy off

Post by anjdrifter »

blind dog try this
OK did a new project the other day .
We were talking about ceramic paints and how they need a high temp to cure either faster or better. well since I don't have an oven big enuff for rifle barrels and etc I decided to build a portable convection oven for both this and also cosmoline removal. .. I like I can assemble and disassemble in minutes for storage and convenience. this still work in progress but this prototype worked.
I can regulate the temp. by crude venting, no need for the normal chimney vent but that would work..
also I can seal it and let it cool down naturally after baking.
I use heat gun for high temp and wind,(convection effect)
Progect $21.75 in parts(even have left overs) not counting the heat gun or the guage which I got on clearance years ago.
the first picture is the first prototype and basic failure .
Lesson PVC warps under heat..

metal better. looks cool to.6"x5' galvanized stove pipe. with end cap installed and open end for heat gun.cant seal this up completely or gun over heats...

Inside the oven with barrel heating.. working on better brackets and mounting system.
BBQ temp gauge I mounted in center . got this from wal mart years ago and finally found use this is after 3 minutes with small heat gun.
this is temp after 5 minutes and constant for as long as I want. with heavy duty heat gun and can be regulated just by different crude positioning..

Last edited by anjdrifter on October 5th, 2008, 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

How long for easy off

Post by blinddog »

anjdrirfer,
If you don't mind(since pat.pending) I would love to build one of those. You are a genius!! :o I have almost everything except the pipe and I could use it to do some of my finish work like you do.

blinddog
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

How long for easy off

Post by blinddog »

Here is a 9d1/30 that I did with citristrip. walnut stain tru oil and gunstock wax

anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

How long for easy off

Post by anjdrifter »

blinddog
go for it it was fun to make . The oven was put on the thread for all to use and in the spirit of passing on ideas that help us all.. the comment about pat pending was just being humorous. or an attempt at humor. I have remnoved the sentence.
Last edited by anjdrifter on October 5th, 2008, 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

How long for easy off

Post by blinddog »

anjdrifter,

Hey, ya had me, you came up with a really neat and inexpensive way do do a job that is hard to do for alot of us. Thank you for passing it on. You are a genius and a really smart guy. Thanks!

blinddog ;D
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

How long for easy off

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Rick9plus, anj. and blinddog, you guys are amazing, the forum is very lucky to have you all as members. Blinddog, can you outline a step by step with the citristrip for us? Pictures aren't necessary, I'm sure there are more members than myself interested in the procedure.
Thanks,
G.R.