Magazine getting deformed

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
sschoenly@cfl.rr.com

Magazine getting deformed

Post by sschoenly@cfl.rr.com »

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but thanks for creating it. I hope I'm not posting something that has been discussed and resolved before, but a preliminary search did not find this subject covered. I have a P-64 that deforms the magazine slowly but surely to the point where it jams in the handle. The magazines start out perfectly smooth on all sides, but get small bumps near the back/brass side of the bullets that protrude further and further until I can no longer use the magazine. It will appear wavy where it was smooth after just 100 rounds. Is this normal? What's causing the deformation? Is there any way to salvage the magazines?

Also, I've had three hand grips break during firing. None of my friends like shooting this gun, but I find it very accurate.

Thanks in advance!

Scott
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Magazine getting deformed

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Scott.

Can you post pics?

Is the mag an original p64 mag with an electro penciled sn? If not it may be one of the cheaper OEM mags that do have problems.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
sschoenly@cfl.rr.com

See attached... I haven't had this piece very long. It came with some other magazines that may be OEM, but they are too long (7 round).

Thanks!
Attachments
Good
Good
Bad
Bad
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Do you know if the previous owner has made any modifications to this P-64? How worn/use does the P-64 look?

You should not be breaking grips so frequently. It's possible that the Recoil Spring is incorrect, or going bad. If you continue to use it as-is I'd guess you will encounter more parts breaking from recoil traveling further than designed. Some of those parts may be difficult to replace.

Wolff does make/sell recoil Springs for the P-64 the standard is 18 pounds. But many get the 22 pound version, and that helps the impact of the recoil more. You can find them here: https://www.gunsprings.com/POLISH%20/cI ... dID196#258

Although I can't tell if those are the aftermarket mags, I suspect they probably are. They have improved them, but again I think the issue is more related to the Recoil Spring not preforming properly.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

Just took my "Szkolna" marked P-64 apart and looked at it carefully. There should be nothing impacting the magazine from behind.

Remove the slide and look through the mag well for any burrs or debris that may be damaging the magazine. The gun metal is harder than the magazine metal.

Since you are also breaking grips, the key may very well be a weak recoil spring. P-64s do pack a punch when you shoot them, even with the heavier recoil spring. A proper grip makes all the difference in managing the recoil in these little guns.

I have not seen longer magazines for these guns that function. Best to stick with the standard 6 round mags. For carry, I will chamber a round and top off the mag giving me 7 rounds for defense. Mag changes are cumbersome at best, so I do not bother to carry a spare mag.

Picked up a few after market mags that work well but may require some filing to work in some P-64s. None of my magazines(original, surplus, or after market)show any signs of the damage you are experiencing and drop free when released.

Is it possible that when trying the longer magazines, you damaged or bent something?
sschoenly@cfl.rr.com

Thanks for the replies. I have ordered a heavier recoil spring and will let you know how that goes. I also need a grip. Aftermarket is fine. Any suggestions on grips?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Standard grips can be found on GB or flea bay from time to time. If you want something special try these guys.

http://grips4u.net/category/pistol-grips/polish-radom/

http://marschalgrips.com/grip-models/radom-p64.html
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

sschoenly@cfl.rr.com wrote: December 4th, 2021, 11:13 am Thanks for the replies. I have ordered a heavier recoil spring and will let you know how that goes. I also need a grip. Aftermarket is fine. Any suggestions on grips?
I would check Gun Broker, or eBay. There are some here, but they are from an armorer's kit and would require fitting. There are some other nicer/pricey options but I would not invest in them while it's cracking your grips...

As fare as the deformed mags go; If you are careful, you may be able to hammer them back into shape and get a little more use out of them...
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Does the mag stick out farther than other mags in the pistol? and it looks like the dents are sticking out from the magazine? Or are they being pressed INTO the magazine?
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.