re-installing plastic grips...

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
mikethedruid

re-installing plastic grips...

Post by mikethedruid »

After removing the original plastic grips from my P-64, I had real trouble replacing the right hand grip. When the back edge and screw hole would align, the front edge would not quite seat down properly. I tried over and over to get it to seat, wiggled it, but it would not. Apparently, over the years the plastic had distorted a bit, and, once removed from the pistol, would not quite fit back. It turned out the trouble was the raised area on the back of the grip that seats down into the open area of the frame. The front edge had expanded just enough so it no longer cleared the metal. I used a Dremmel tool with a carbide disk and carefully trimmed back that edge just a hair, and cleaned up the result with an Exacto. Now the grip fits perfectly. Have any of you had to do the same thing ?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: re-installing plastic grips...

Post by Curly1 »

Never had that problem.

But I have installed the new rubber grips now.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6028
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

mikethedruid wrote:After removing the original plastic grips from my P-64, I had real trouble replacing the right hand grip ... Have any of you had to do the same thing ?
I've had difficulties at times but did no modifications. I played with it until the panel fit but I know the frustration of which you speak. :(
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
mikethedruid

Post by mikethedruid »

Russ's grips are very nice, but, after handling the gun, I like the way the original grip fits my hand, since, although my hands are large, they are not "beefy." The plain, checkered, plastic grips fit me perfectly. Looks like the slide will clear easily with the way I naturally grip it. I may change my mind when I go to the range, we'll see. I am going to wait to put in my Wolff hammer spring first.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

mikethedruid wrote:Russ's grips are very nice, but, after handling the gun, I like the way the original grip fits my hand, since, although my hands are large, they are not "beefy." The plain, checkered, plastic grips fit me perfectly. Looks like the slide will clear easily with the way I naturally grip it. I may change my mind when I go to the range, we'll see. I am going to wait to put in my Wolff hammer spring first.
Why don't you see if Russ has any of his earlier versions laying around? They (I think...) were a bit slimmer and didn't wrap completely around the grip but pushed on from the back. Same texture and a bit extra padding/comfort due to the material but a bit smaller I'd think.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Humpy

Post by Humpy »

mikethedruid wrote:After removing the original plastic grips from my P-64, I had real trouble replacing the right hand grip. When the back edge and screw hole would align, the front edge would not quite seat down properly. I tried over and over to get it to seat, wiggled it, but it would not. Apparently, over the years the plastic had distorted a bit, and, once removed from the pistol, would not quite fit back. It turned out the trouble was the raised area on the back of the grip that seats down into the open area of the frame. The front edge had expanded just enough so it no longer cleared the metal. I used a Dremmel tool with a carbide disk and carefully trimmed back that edge just a hair, and cleaned up the result with an Exacto. Now the grip fits perfectly. Have any of you had to do the same thing ?
I had the problem of the finicky grips also, but eventually got them where they should be with a little patience and fiddling, no modification.
Polishiron68

Post by Polishiron68 »

Hi guys, this may help.
The front of the frame is under-cut. Kind of a half dovetail. And the grip has a mating feature It forces the leading edge of the grip tight to the frame. Therefore the grip has to be slid, back to front and down. Yea. A bit of gymnastics involved. I wish that undercut was on the lower frame also. It would help my grips some.
Stay tuned. I have a couple new grips coming. Two models that will address your and others requests.
Russ...