Polish Radom P-64- should this be touched-up or reblued?

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
tai

Polish Radom P-64- should this be touched-up or reblued?

Post by tai »

Hello,

Circled '11" dated 1969. This handgun is apparently on the national C&R list.

Seeking opinions solely based on resale value, though I have no present intention of selling it in forseeable future.

Three photos follow-in the third one, one can see considerable fading of the bluing on left side of the slide.

It really doesn't bother me per se, but on occasion I've thought it would be nicer looking if restored to the blue/black color (and putting aside the resale value consideration).

And, I'm on a 'kick' cold bluing, and recently improved the appearance of my MKII's upper receiver considerably using only BC Super Blue.

Does the market follow the general rule that a firearm in very good or like new condition will improve its value upon resale or will this P-64 do better upon a resale with the faded bluing?

Image]

Last edited by tai on February 9th, 2014, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tai

Re: Polish Radom P-64- should this be touched-up or reblued?

Post by tai »

If I were to cold blue slide of the P-64 or the entire gun- based upon reviews etc, I'd probably get the OxPho-Blue from Brownell's.

Here's some pics of the still uncompleted bluing touchup using BC Super Blue on the MKII. Ignore the long white streaks due to the camera flash.

Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

IMO any restoration/touch up devalues the resale price.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

I have to agree with Curly on this one. It looks to be in damn nice condition for the year. I think I would just leave it alone as well.
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Don't cold blue. Rust Blue. It's just as easy and way better.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Curly1 wrote:IMO any restoration/touch up devalues the resale price.
They're very common Cold War milsup. While it may damage resale slightly, it's probably not going to damage it as much as a poor condition. We're not talking a vintage Ruger here. ;)

But a "real" blue finish is better and more valuable than a cold blue.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

If it turns out as nice as the MkII above, I doubt most buyers will be able to tell. Touching up the bluing in subtle ways is better than having it rust, that will devalue the pistol for sure.
conch1

Post by conch1 »

Curly1 wrote:IMO any restoration/touch up devalues the resale price.
I've used Brownells OxphoBlue to reblue entire guns with excellent results but I only do guns that have already depreciated fully due to rust or no-finish or both and I fully strip the old finish and try to polish out light pitting by hand. I often find guns that are mechanically tight with no finish selling at the bottom of their collectors value. Obviously, this does not apply for collectors items like SAA Colts where the rusty no-finish gun is still worth thousands, but things like old commercial 1911s (not WWII), Ballesters, S&W 1917, etc. selling for $400-$500 with rust and no-finish have no collector interest in that condition and therefore are good candidates.

As for the P64? That thick, deep blue-black finish would be hard to just touch up. My 1970 has a couple of mild dings and some holster wear at the muzzle, but still looks okay to me so it stays that way.