HANDALL GRIP INSTALLATION TIP

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
heavyduty77

Post by heavyduty77 »

I recently purchased a Hogue / Handall, Jr. Model 18000 "rubber band" grip for the P-64. This particular model listed the Walther PPK/S on its application chart so I gave it a try. It ended up fitting quite nicely on the P-64.

http://s844.photobucket.com/albums/ab3/ ... ll%20Grip/

The band is a very tight fit over the grips. In order to make the installation easier I used a technique that I've used for many years to install / remove rubber grips from machinery operating handles, motorcycle grips, foot peg rubbers, etc. If you aren't already familiar with using WD-40 for this purpose you may want to give it a try the next time you install tight fitting grips. Just spray it on the inside of the rubber and work the rubber over the grip or handle. It really reduces the effort required to install it and doesn't trap any moisture between the grip and the metal (a big problem if you use soapy water since the trapped moisture will eventually cause rust to form under the grip). Once you have the grip on where you want it, wipe off the excess WD-40 and set the gun aside for a few hours (or overnight). You'll find that the remaining WD-40 has dissipated and the grip will stay firmly in place.

Note: you can also use WD-40 to make removal easier by peeling back the rubber and shooting a shot or two between the rubber and the grip before starting to remove it. (If you're trying to remove a motorcycle hand grip or peg rubber, first insert a long thin screwdriver, stiff wire, or piece of welding rod down the inside of the grip to allow the WD-40 to get between the grip and the handle / peg. Do this in two spots about 180 degrees apart.) I've removed and installed the same grips easily several times without incurring any damage.

Hope this proves helpful!
critter

Post by critter »

Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a try. :)