Alternative to safes?

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
gman68w

Alternative to safes?

Post by gman68w »

This past month's weather has raised the issue of what is, and what is not, easily transportable from home to shelter and back again. Among them are safes.

I need a multi-gun case that's lockable with a padlock, and has a hitch or something that I can chain to a wall or something. (reference: Jeff Foxworthy's bit about portable safes).

https://nalpak.com/Tuffpak-1050-Gun-Cas ... ned-Handle This guy looks like it might be what I need, but I'll hold out for better recommendations.
Jesus sez 'Pack Heat' Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now,
he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that
hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Ingramite

Re: Alternative to safes?

Post by Ingramite »

The most portable/low impact solution that I've found is a pair of handcuffs.
I've passed 4 pistol trigger guards through one hand cuff and locked them together then attached the other handcuff to a water pipe or car seat frame.
GOD BLESSED TEXAS
gman68w

Post by gman68w »

That sounds.....functional. But I'm looking for something that LLE won't raise an eyebrow at, should they have a need to stop by.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Depending on the departments attitude towards the local peasantry traveling armed a small NBC equipped bunker in your vehicle may not be deemed acceptable. Before purchasing a "mobile safe" please check you tube or vimeo for the locksmith guy that shows how incredibly easily most of these safes are defeated. It is astounding how a Kalifornia DOJ approved portable safe can be open without a key or combination in under 10 seconds.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
gman68w

Post by gman68w »

Not that kind of shelter. I had to leave my house for flooding, and stay with someone else. I just want something I can keep chained to a wall at the place I'm staying.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Oh, I misunderstood, sorry. I had to make a temporary secure space once too and I used a Stack On gun cabinet. I set it on a concrete block in the basement of the temporary abode with the back against the steel support collum the centerline house supports were resting on and then wrapped a 3/4 inch plastic coated hardened marine chain with pancake style high security padlock around it and the support beam. Cabinet could neither be moved nor opened with the chain around it and the chain could not be slid off the cabinet as it was bolted in place to the support beam through one of the holes pre drilled in the support collum. Worked well enough for temp and was realitivly cheap and would have to be worked on hard for some time with the proper tools to be defeated.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
superc

Post by superc »

A small student type refrigerator with a welded on padlock and hasp should meet your needs. If needed replace the feet with Dolly wheels. Please note the very best gun safw will stop a 10 year old, but none of them will stop a determined 11 year old with access to tools.
gman68w

Post by gman68w »

There won't be any kids within "Oh cool, guns!" range, I just need a place to keep them that the cops will look at it and say "Nope, this is fine."
BeoBill

Post by BeoBill »

I use a surplus 50 cal metal ammo can. Easily portable and common as dirt. The hasp can accept a padlock. Chain through the handle and around the immovable object of choice; then padlock. Makes a racket when you move it, so there's a built-in alarm. Separate the stored pistols with old socks or similar. Done!