Outbags pocket holster any good?

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
kwqd

Outbags pocket holster any good?

Post by kwqd »

I searched the site for Outbags holster threads but only found one for their leather IWB holster. Has anyone tried their nylon pocket holster for the P64?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Makarov-Polish- ... 3cdbd4fe54

Adding tiny url, to save on cut and paste action:

http://tinyurl.com/khm7h8k

Thanks!
Last edited by kwqd on April 15th, 2017, 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kwqd

Re: Outbags pocket holster any good?

Post by kwqd »

They are just $13 shipped, so going to try one out. I wear cargo shorts when weather permits and my P64 fits nicely in the front pocket. Also looking at Remora pocket holsters. The Outbags holster looks like it might need a little modification to tighten up the retention of the pistol so it doesn't slide around, but I have a needle and heavy thread....
OG17

Post by OG17 »

I haven't. I use a DeSantis Nemesis if I pocket carry which is rarely. I have their nylon OWB w/mag pouch holster for all my guns for range use. They make a nice IWB leather clip holster that can be used for the P64. Ketchman knows the model #.

Check out this thread http://www.p64resource.com/forum/viewto ... f=2&t=5575
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

If their nylon holsters are as nice as their leather holsters you will be bery happy. I have an IWB and an owb holsters by them and they are all very nicely done.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
kwqd

Post by kwqd »

Thanks for the replies, guys. I have the OUTBAGS LOB3S-MAK9 IWB holster for the P64 and it is very nice for carry, just hard to put on and take off. I must not know the secret to getting it on and off. The curved piece at the bottom of the clip nearest the holster snags on everything when taking it off and putting it on. Not many of my jeans and shorts are loose enough for an IWB holster, anyway.

I was going for the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster and ordered one on Amazon and the seller sent me the wrong holster. Still might get one, though. Did you buy the one for the PPK?

I watched faliaphotography's YouTube videos on the Remora holster and it looks like she is using the pocket holsters as IWB holsters with good results, so it would be nice to have one holster for both pocket and IWB. I am a lefty, so the ambi holsters are great. I might also experiment with crossdraw carry with one. I often drop my P64 in a front pocket of my cargo shorts when I am just on a quick trip somewhere, but have keep fussing with it to keep it oriented right, hence the pocket holster.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I have the same problem with my Outbags IWB holster but that curved piece is what helps keep the holster from shifting while wearing it and I have not figured out an easier way to get it on /off but I like how it rides very much so I deal with it. Besides, I dont unlimber my sidearm much if at all when carrying. If I can't carry there then they don't get my business. Besides this is Wyoming, please consider everyone armed. :mrgreen:
And get a pocket holster soon please. Pocket carry without one is inherently dangerous. And we like our members to only have the number of holes they started life with and no more. :mrgreen:
kwqd

Post by kwqd »

The OutBags pocket holster is in the mail!
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

cool! Let us know how it is. We are interested.
kwqd

Report on Outbags pocket holster and Remora holster

Post by kwqd »

Here are my experiences with these holsters:

Outbags: I wanted to like this holster because I am a cheap bastard. Unfortunately, I did not have a great experience with it. For IWB, regardless of how I carried it, it was not securely held by my waist band. That is because the narrow strip of material around the holster that is supposed to be "grippy" is not grippy enough to actually provide the friction needed to keep the holster in place regardless of how tight my trousers were. It actually slid down my trouser leg once. The material is reminiscent of the fuzzy part of a velcro strip and that may actually be what it is. Even if the strip was twice as wide, I doubt that it would hold the holster in place with a pistol in it. As a pocket holster it was OK depending on the pocket. The problem is that the holster mouth is too wide and the pistol can flop out of the holster if the pocket is wide enough or cut low enough to allow that. I think this could be fixed with some heavy thread to contour the holster to the pistol better. In my shorts that had deeper pockets, it worked pretty well. I am keeping it for pocket carry, with selected clothing, and will modify it to hold the pistol more securely. It is pretty comfortable in a pocket but you have to be careful to not pull it out with the pistol.

Remora: Love this holster and it is what I settled on and now use for EDC appendix carry and sometimes for pocket carry. The holster is closely contoured to the dimensions of the pistol, though there is no Remora specifically designed for the P64. I actually called Remora and asked them about this. The holster for the PPK works for the P64, though, and cost me 32.52 shipped on GunBroker. This is the description in the auction:

"Remora Pocket Holster fits Bersa Thunder Firestorm/Sig 232/230/Walther PPK/PPKS/PD5-5C/FEG AP-PA63/Makarov PM/PMM/1ZH 70-71 Ambidextrous Black
* Catalog Title: ZEN TAGUA REMORA PKT BLK AMBI"

The entire exterior of this holster is very grippy which holds it solidly in place as long as your trousers/shorts fit snugly. It is almost exactly the same dimensions as the Outbags holster. The texture of the holster makes putting it in and removing it from a pocket a bit of a struggle, but that is a good thing as it doesn't come out with the pistol when I draw it. I haven't figured out exactly why, but even though these two holster are virtually identical in dimensions and both seem to have about the same degree of stiffness, the Remora seems to print more noticeably. It might be because of the thread reinforcements on the Remora that contour the holster to the pistol.

So if we are talking stars:

Outbags: **
Remora: *****
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

sorry to hear of your bad experience with their stuff. But glad the Remora works for you.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I am a big fan of Remora also, have 4 that fit pretty much anything in my carry stable.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
keith150

Post by keith150 »

I bought the leather one for my 64 I love it
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

the Outbags or Remora?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Remora doesn't do leather.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

ah. Did not know that, thanks Curly.