Holsters for P64 that work for me

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
kragluver

Holsters for P64 that work for me

Post by kragluver »

I primarily carry my P64 In an IWB/tuckable holster made by DM Bullard from Azle, Tx. It is a Walther PPK holster and it fits the '64 like a glove. I have been very happy with this holster and I highly recommend it. I have also tried a couple of the pocket carry holsters but I do not care for pocket carry as I find the draw too slow for my tastes. A good friend of mine carries his P64 via pocket carry in cargo pants and favors that method. I have the Bullard IWB/tuckable for my 1911 too. I do not care for that holster as much although I have used it a good bit.
45collector

Re: Holsters for P64 that work for me

Post by 45collector »

I am surprised at how many people carry their main CCW in a pocket. I guess if you practice you can get quick enough with your draw but I could never get used to it. Strong side IWB only for me, with any of the main carry guns I use. Occasionally I'll wear a small auto or Jframe in an ankle holster, or a small auto in the inside pocket of my winter jackets (seasonally of course), but those are always BUGs.

One thing I can see being useful in pocket carrying is that you could walk around all day with your hand on your pistol and no one would be the wiser. So I do understand that if your hand is already in your pocket, you can draw that sucker lightning-fast. I don't normally walk around with my hands in my pocket though. I do not consider the P64 a pocket gun!
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

I have a US Gunleather holster and mag carrier (from Dick Funk poster here). They are very comfy. I also got another for my baby brother. Not sure if he's making them anymore tho.
budliteguy

Post by budliteguy »

Mine is carried in my back or sometimes front pocket in a leather pocket holster. Main reason for pocket carry is if the robber comes up with his gun/Knife already out, you are not going to have the chance in lifting your shirt and drawing your weapon .With it in your pocket and when he ask for your wallet you have a surprise for him instead. Main thing is keeping your guard up.
Be watchful of your surroundings especially in parking lots and getting in your car. That's where and when most robbery's take place. My wife always fusses at me for looking around when we are walking into a store or around the store and back out of the store she say's I don't shop. No I don't shop I make a list get it and get out, But always scanning the area around me..But anyway any holster is not going to do you any good if the threat is already upon you. No matter how fast you can draw!!!! Myself I live by the Late Jeff Cooper's color code system
http://www.teddytactical.com/SharpenBla ... reness.htm
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

There are any number of ambush circumstances where a CCW holder would be absolutely hosed unless he had the firearm (literally) in hand at the time.

That's why ambushes work so well.

That being said, many attacks are not ambushes and frequently victims have plenty of time to prepare or access self defense tools. Often the only reason they don't is because they ignored that little voice in the back of their mind telling them something wasn't right.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Hdig72sfanslinmt

Post by Hdig72sfanslinmt »

I have three P-64s a 68,70 & 76 I carry mine in a Rays Openholster, PPK holster, A Rays Pocket holster and a Rays thumb strap.. They fit the P-64 great. Go Rays Holsters. He is in Largo Fl. Cost is $35.00 + $7.00 shiping. Comes either Black or brown, the brown is mor cordoven color then brown. Delivery from FT to mid TN is three days

PS I also have a 1991 P-83, And any Kel=Tek holster works fine, Go to Rays Holsters
msglaigaie

Post by msglaigaie »

lklawson said "That's why ambushes work so well."

Thats why I open carry and train at least once a week.
If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much room!
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

msglaigaie wrote:lklawson said "That's why ambushes work so well."

Thats why I open carry and train at least once a week.
I applaud your dedication to practice. But even Open Carry will only give you so much. It's still not going to give you enough edge against a sucker punch, slungshot to the back of the head, or a Folsom style kidney stab.

There are just some times when you are hosed. Accept it and and move on. Train for what you can affect.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
sixgun

Post by sixgun »

Open carry can be a disadvantage for you as well. The BG may not move on and take you out first as mentioned. Not drawing attention to myself is an advantage in case things go terribly wrong.

I'm sure you have thought out all of your options, all the best..
gwbiker

Post by gwbiker »

sixgun wrote:Open carry can be a disadvantage for you as well. The BG may not move on and take you out first as mentioned. Not drawing attention to myself is an advantage in case things go terribly wrong.

I'm sure you have thought out all of your options, all the best..
So often heard, but never any proof of that situation. Until then, discounted as liberal BS.

Yes, I OC in Arizona.
msglaigaie

Post by msglaigaie »

gwbiker said "So often heard, but never any proof of that situation. Until then, discounted as liberal BS.

Yes, I OC in Arizona."

I had to laugh at that one. A great deal of people are not ready to protect themselves or those around them. The "old wives tales" of BGs picking me off first are very funny. Most people do not even notice that it sits on my hip. It never jumps out and goes off. Mostly, I am authorized by both State and Federal Constitutions to carry (gotta love Washington State). Situational awareness is what keeps me out of trouble most of the time. Yes, you can be ambushed, and yes I could step in dog poop if I don't watch out.
The choice to OC is personal (everyone should tho), but it incurs responsibility. That is why I go to the range to practice. I also have a heck of a good time.
If you want to know more about open carrying, take a look at the National/State website. If anything you can learn stuff.
http://www.opencarry.org

On holsters (back on topic). I received a leather holster with a CZ82 recently. The pistol did not fit in the holster(too big) so I tossed it in the pile. Looking around for something to fit my P64, I tried it and it fit. I got anothe CZ82, same holster, only just a bit bigger. Who knows?
If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much room!
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

msglaigaie wrote:Yes, you can be ambushed, and yes I could step in dog poop if I don't watch out.
Don't misunderstand. I'm not saying, "don't OC." I'm specifically saying that OCing and/or other non-IWB carry, despite what was earlier implied by budliteguy, doesn't give any special advantage over and above concealed carry beneath a shirt-tail against any number of different circumstances, ambush being one, nor does most training.

Open Carry if you want. I'm quite satisfied with your decision and have no problems with you doing so. I fervently wish more law abiding people would carry in whatever manner is most pleasing to them. But OC isn't some magic force field which gives special protection vs. any and all forms of attack and comparing Situational Awareness and the ability to not be ambushed to not stepping in dog poop is a vast over-simplification at best. Dog poop is easy to see, ambushes are designed not to be.

Again, train for what you can hope to affect and accept that we're not Arisians and can't foresee and plan for every potential event.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
p64-1973

Post by p64-1973 »

I pocket carry, ankle carry, and IWB carry my P-64 depending upon my dress at the time and where I am going. I don't prefer OC, but have OC'ed other handguns at certain times. I IWB carry my P-64 in a Galco rig that was made for a Kahr, but it fits the Polish gun well.
Those who beat their weapons into plows will do nothing, but till the soil for those who do not.
Birds Away

Post by Birds Away »

My P64 is rarely my primary. Normally I carry my primary strong-side IWB with the P64 in my "weak" hand jacket pocket. Occasionally if I am just running up to the gas station on the corner I will have only the P64 with me. I do not have a pocket holster and feel no need for one. If I have it in my jacket pocket my hand is usually on it while I am in the store. As for OC, I support everyone's right to carry as they see fit. Just be safe.
dalek

Post by dalek »

Resurrecting this thread, I too believe that OC might help the BG plan his attack. I prefer Sun-Tzu's ideal of not letting the enemy know your strength and weaknesses, but make sure you know his.