Suggestions for 22LR Practice Pistol

Use this section for all other firearms
bear34

Suggestions for 22LR Practice Pistol

Post by bear34 »

I am looking for something as close in feel and size as my P64 or Bulgarian Makarov.
Does anyone have any opinions on the Bersa Thunder 22? Don't care if its new or used, but has to be in the $300< range.

Still looking for a Mak conversion kit.
lklawson

Re: Suggestions for 22LR Practice Pistol

Post by lklawson »

I bought a CO2 BB/Pellet "Walther PPK"

It can stand in reasonably well for most of my Makarov caliber handguns in size and shape and I can use it in my own garage.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
bear34

Post by bear34 »

lklawson wrote:I bought a CO2 BB/Pellet "Walther PPK"

It can stand in reasonably well for most of my Makarov caliber handguns in size and shape and I can use it in my own garage.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Thanks, but I really want a 22.
Goberserk

Post by Goberserk »

I've considered the Phoenix HP22A for the same purpose. A longer barrelled 'range' version is available. It's something to research. I already have a Ruger SR22p which serves my need pretty well.
Bosgarage57

Post by Bosgarage57 »

I have the PA22 with range kit (5" and 3" barrel) I bought at s gun show last year for about 150. I really like it and would buy another. I have heard about the plastic cracking under a lot of shots, but ive prob put 2000 through it and still looks fine. the safeties take a little getting use to as well. I say for the price go for it.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Bosgarage57 wrote:I have the PA22 with range kit (5" and 3" barrel) I bought at s gun show last year for about 150. I really like it and would buy another. I have heard about the plastic cracking under a lot of shots, but ive prob put 2000 through it and still looks fine. the safeties take a little getting use to as well. I say for the price go for it.
PA22? Plastic?

I can't find any info from a quick google. Are you maybe referring to the Phoenix Arms HP22? That's all metal, not plastic, except for the grips.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Bosgarage57

Post by Bosgarage57 »

kirk yes the Phoenix arms 22, right up from th3 grips the side wall is very thin and cracks after a while. I believe you can see examples of this on the Jimenez forums.
mirother

Post by mirother »

J&G have Bersa .22 lr pistols again. They should be just the thing. I don't know for sure about this DA thing. It doesn't say DA Only, but I am not quite sure about that. Does anyone know?
bear34

Post by bear34 »

Located and ordered a 22LR conversion kit for my Makarov. This was what I wanted in the first place. Hope to have it in my hands this week or beginning of next.

EXCITED!!!
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

the Phoenix arms 22 is NOT plastic, it is metal and yes, the older models they did have some cracking issues however, then as now, it has a LIFETIME warranty. They can be purchased with the range kit, the 3" barrel and the 5" barrel, the case, cleaning kit, two magazines, safety lock and cleaning and lube products for under $150.00. Their customer service is better than most big brand name firearms manufactures and if you ship in a broken gun, they send you back, in about one weeks time, a BRAND NEW pistol. I find it hard to fault a company like that based on internet rumours. I absolutely love mine and, when it finally wears out, like any gun will do if it's shot enough, I'll have a new one in a week. I currently have over 5000 rounds through this one and it's almost as tight as the day I got it but then again I do something called maintenance so It will probably last for another 5000.
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
maue

Post by maue »

bear34 wrote:Located and ordered a 22LR conversion kit for my Makarov. This was what I wanted in the first place. Hope to have it in my hands this week or beginning of next.

EXCITED!!!

I would like to know how the kit turned out. any info on it?

I have had the ability to shoot the Phenex 22LR and i agree it is a great practice pistol.
worst order ever FIX BAYONETS
bear34

Post by bear34 »

maue wrote:
bear34 wrote:Located and ordered a 22LR conversion kit for my Makarov. This was what I wanted in the first place. Hope to have it in my hands this week or beginning of next.

EXCITED!!!

I would like to know how the kit turned out. any info on it?

I have had the ability to shoot the Phenex 22LR and i agree it is a great practice pistol.

Too early to tell. I fired 100 rounds through it which really isn't enough to give a great review. I tried 2 different ammos(don't remember which) and one was clearly better than the other. This wasn't a surprise since I had read that it will take time to find out which load will function best. I believe that polishing the feed ramp with jewelers rouge will improve the performance. The fact that I can switch from 9x18 to .22lr in about a minute is awesome. I have smallish hands so the Makarov feels great in my hand. All in all, I know I will love it. I wish one was available for my P64 since that is my carry piece.

http://www.makarov.50megs.com/Makarov22caliberinfo.html
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Good deal that it is working OK.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary