Police trade in P-220

Use this section for all other firearms
TroyS

Police trade in P-220

Post by TroyS »

I bought a Police trade in P=220 in .45 ACP. I love how accurate it is. My only problem is in the mag release. With a cartridge in the mag it will drop free. Empty mag and slide locked back it will not drop at all. Slide closed it will eject about an inch when I press the mag release. Anyone else have this problem?
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Police trade in P-220

Post by Ketchman »

What year? I have one that is German made for the American market (american style mag release) that I bought used in 1998 that I absolutely love too and the mags do the same thing. Drop free mags were not such a desireable thing back in the day as it was thought you would loose them (military thinking, that's why early Colt 1911's had tether loops on the mags and the frame). It's only been in the last 10-15 years that drop free mags have been demanded from the public and law enforcement. Military still doesn't like lost mags, but when cheaper easier to get magazines became popular, about the same time as drop free mags became fashionable, even the military has accepted "disposable" mags. I have not found any mags that drop free from my P-220, even SIG factory mags.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
magnum42069

Post by magnum42069 »

The one I fired must have been worn out. It was badly inaccurate and the recoil and muzzle jump compared badly with an aluminum frame 1911.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Most Euro guns I have will not drop the mag free.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I have never even heard of an "innacurate" P-220 in .45. Even the heavily used ones i have seen were as accurate is almost anything else new out of the box. I would not be surprised to find out that the recoil spring was badly worn out and that the pistol was the subject of excessive abuse, 220's just don't seem to degrade much under normal usage.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.