My new Star project

Use this section for all other firearms
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

My new Star project

Post by Weasel640 »

1951 Star Model F all in pieces, awaiting parts. When I got it the Slide Retainer/take down button was broken. Also some jackal head had apparently lost the safety plunger and spring. As I found what looked like a dirty tooth pick where they should have been. The hammer was not locking back far enough for the safety to engage it properly either so I'm fixing that too. Otherwise for being over 60 years old it looks to be in pretty good shape.

Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: My new Star project

Post by Curly1 »

I have always liked the round barrels vs the square, nice one.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

All finished up and put back together. Look pretty good finish wise. Took it to the range yesterday, and it functions very well. It don't like the sites though, my point of impact was higher that the point of aim but well grouped. Wish it had some kind of a slide lock for the last shot though.

So as I suspected, comparing an original sear to the sear that was in there, the same Jackel head had removed material from the sear. I guess they were trying to do a trigger job and went wrong. Not sure why they would attempt it, the trigger pull was pretty good once I got the new sear in. Their modification to the sear was not holding the hammer in the right place, in turn not allowing the safety to engage. Now everything functions as it should now.

I also just got done on the mod I did to the back of my desk.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Nice job.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

With most Self-loading Pistols even if the slide-lock fails I can tell by the sound of the gun that it was the last shot. This was the first time I've shot 22lr, the recoil/sound was so minute that I couldn't really tell when the last round had gone off. Without having a slide-lock at all I found myself counting rounds. As it was made 61 years ago (1951) I really don't want to risk breaking the firing pin by dry firing it after the last shot.

Over all I'm happy with the Star, it was kind of an impulse buy. The dealer should have checked it for function ahead of time, but I guess he neglected his duties. It gave me the chance to tinker around with the gun. Plus ammo for it is cheap, can get 500 rounds for it at the cost of what I pay for 100 of anything else.
Weasel