Yugo M57 Safety Problem

Use this section for all other firearms
Donzi

Yugo M57 Safety Problem

Post by Donzi »

Anybody here familiar w/the "add-on" safety on the US version of the Yugo M57 Tokarev pistol? I'm having trouble w/the one on my M57 & don't really know how to proceed. Somehow, in the process of stripping my M57 down, I must have dislocated/upset some part of the detent on the back side of the safety, because now it sticks in either the "safe"(up) or "fire(down) position & requires a huge amount of force(like a blow) to move. The detent seems to be formed from the tail end of a coil spring that sits inside the folded thumb piece @ the top of the safety. A wire piece @ the bottom of the coil extends thru a hole on the back (frame) side of the safety & has a short doubled-over end that sits in the milled-out blind holes in the frame that form the "safe" & "fire" states of the safety. Long story short, mine is sticking badly & I can't figure any way to alleviate the pressure. I've tried bending the plate on the safety to no avail & I'm afraid to mess w/the spring-no replacement available. Am I missing something here? Failing that, anyone know where I can get 2 plugs, metal or hard rubber, of the correct size to fill the 2 safety frame holes? All suggestions welcome, & TIA.
"Jeez, Tommy, don't you believe in anything?
Yeah, I believe in ammo. As much as I can carry."
Dennis

Re: Yugo M57 Safety Problem

Post by Dennis »

Try cutting two 22 caliber fired shells. Cut them at 1/8” and glue them in with supper glue or JBW.
Last edited by Dennis on August 2nd, 2012, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

Dennis- Thanks much f/the tip.
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

Dennis-
Again, thanks f/ the tip. I tried it today & (pending glueing them in) it works like a charm.