CZ 82 Review---you have the 9x18 cartridge anyway!

Use this section for all other firearms
plouffedaddy

CZ 82 Review---you have the 9x18 cartridge anyway!

Post by plouffedaddy »

I've had the CZ 82 for a few months now and must say I'm impressed. I've got 3 guns chambered in 9x18 Makarov (CZ 82, Bulgarian Mak, P64) and of the bunch the 82 is my absolute favorite. Quick summary:

Pros:
-Cost ($220 is tough to beat)
-Accuracy
-Great single action trigger
-Usable sights
-Easy to maintain
-All steel construction
-12+1 capacity
-Ability to carry 'cocked and locked'
-Chrome bore; polygonal rifling
-Parts are readily available as the CZ 83 shares most parts and is still in production

Cons:
-27oz weight is a little heavy by modern carry gun standards
-I would like the option of standard replaceable sights
-No decocker

Here's a video of some shooting, a table top review, and some chronograph tests:

Review Video

Chronograph results:

Hornady XTP 95gr JHP: 1045fps, 226ft/lbs of energy
Silver Bear 94gr HP: 1108fps, 256ft/lbs of energy
Brown Bear 94gr FMJ: 1119fps, 261ft/lbs of energy

As to whether or not to use FMJ or JHP rounds for defense––-I'll leave that up to the experts but I'll be carrying hollow points myself.
fully machined

Re: CZ 82 Review---you have the 9x18 cartridge anyway!

Post by fully machined »

I pretty sure CZ 75 sights will work. CZ USA offers 7 heights for the front and seven heights for the rear. The number is stamped underneth the sights. Plus anything else that fits a 75. I am glad it does not have a decocker--there is enough parts in this pistol as it is!!!
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I am pretty sure someone had said CZ-75 sights would work. Can't remember where I read it or why I even stumbled on it. I think it was so you could elevate the front sight or something. I'll have to look for it again if I can remember what I was looking for to begin with??? If that makes any sense at all!

OK, the CZ-75 had various rear sights and they are numbered. You can indeed install one of these sights in the CZ-82 to change POA to a distance that you prefer. Not exactly sure how to figure out which one you'd need but I guess it would be a guessing game. :)

Good review by the way.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Another nice review.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

juniustaylor wrote:I am pretty sure someone had said CZ-75 sights would work. Can't remember where I read it or why I even stumbled on it.
It's been discussed multiple times, along with the issues surrounding the pin for the front sight, over on czfirearms.us (and it's previous incarnation) in both the Curio & Relic board and in the CZ82 & CZ83 board.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

plouffedaddy wrote:I've had the CZ 82 for a few months now and must say I'm impressed. I've got 3 guns chambered in 9x18 Makarov (CZ 82, Bulgarian Mak, P64) and of the bunch the 82 is my absolute favorite.
Nice. Looks like you have a good condition example too.

I find that I am more accurate with my P64 but I agree that the CZ82 is far more pleasant to shoot. And, yeah, it does have a nice SA trigger. I think that the stock SA trigger on the P64 is nicer but the DA trigger on the CZ82 is way better.

I love them both for different reasons. I guess I'm just a gun-polygamist. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
plouffedaddy

Post by plouffedaddy »

lklawson wrote:
plouffedaddy wrote:I've had the CZ 82 for a few months now and must say I'm impressed. I've got 3 guns chambered in 9x18 Makarov (CZ 82, Bulgarian Mak, P64) and of the bunch the 82 is my absolute favorite.
Nice. Looks like you have a good condition example too.

I find that I am more accurate with my P64 but I agree that the CZ82 is far more pleasant to shoot. And, yeah, it does have a nice SA trigger. I think that the stock SA trigger on the P64 is nicer but the DA trigger on the CZ82 is way better.

I love them both for different reasons. I guess I'm just a gun-polygamist. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
That's the best kind of polygamist to be!
msglaigaie

Post by msglaigaie »

I Open Carry a CZ82 every day. I like the way it feels in my hand and the fact that I can deploy two good, COM hits in quick succession. I found that the Uncle Mikes #22 holster works well(has a thumb strap), but I like my Fobus. Fobus does not make a holster for the CZ, but the kahr 40 fits perfect. A great weapon at a good price. I got a pair for US$400 and picked up a .380 threaded barrel for 80. What a wonderful weapon. I buy bullets(HPs) by the thousand and rarely pay much for them.
If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much room!
rick9plus

Post by rick9plus »

Hey msgaigaie, if you're still on the board, is that Fobus holster you like for the CZ82 for the Kahr K40? I want to make sure that there isn't a different holster for a "40" model (without the "K"). I don't want to get the wrong one, as I have done that before.

A link to purchase the correct holster would be appreciated as well.
BnBGuns

Post by BnBGuns »

I purchased a CZ82 from Classic and it had a pit in the bottom of the barrel. On a land and groove barrel this small pit would have made little difference. However on the Polygonal barrel of the CZ82 it threw my rounds all over the map. It was suprisingly, wildly inaccurate. I'd aim at a 12" target at 10 yards and would hit all around the paper with in about a 2 ft radius. I had to get with in 4 yards to have any assurance I'd at least hit the paper. What I found so amazing is that the pit would fill with copper or brass almost immediately. This little pit seemed to grab the bullet and send it flying in every direction.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum BnB.

That is an interesting finding.

Did you send you CZ back to Classic for a replacment?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary