brass plating?

Use this section for all other firearms
archie55

brass plating?

Post by archie55 »

hello everybody, I am a new & proud P64 owner and new to this msg board. I would like to thank everyone for all the great information, but to move on to my question. I am going to start my black powder rifle build. it is a kit from traditions there kentucky rifle kit and i was wondering if anybody has every brass plated a rifle barrel? would it discolor rapidly from the heat? would it chip/flake off? or would it just be a flat out bad idea!! I always envisioned my muzzle loader to be a high gloss dark red/brown stock with polished brass hardware including the barrel any help would be great! thank you
snailman153624

Re: brass plating?

Post by snailman153624 »

You'd have to be one heck of a fast muzzleloader to get the barrel to discolor from heat...I have to pump several rounds a minute through my shotty to get the barrel hot enough to where it *might* get uncomfortable to touch the barrel.

With that said, never brass plated anything...have copper and nickel electro-plated other stuff (small things).
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Copper solvents would certainly strip off brass plating.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
old mike

Post by old mike »

All of the above things plus the fact that the best way to clean a black powder barrel is with hot water. I've had many muzzle loaders with brass fittings and any time the water from cleaning touches the brass , it is discolored. You would have to "Brasso" the barrel evertime you fired the gun. I'd think a few days of that and you wouldn't want to shoot very often. Mike
old mike

Post by old mike »

A good rich Plumb Brown barrel is a thing of beauty. It also looks great with polished brass and either dark walnut or red or natural maple.
archie55

Post by archie55 »

So it sounds like I will not be getting the barrel brass plated thanks for the info everybody I'll probably end blueing it. Anybody have any thoughts on gold plating? I would guess it's expensive and not very durable??
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Gold plating is strictly for decorative embellishment.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
archie55

Post by archie55 »

thanks everybody bluing it is!
drewas

Post by drewas »

Archie55, I hope you mean "browning" rather than bluing. Barrel browning is the traditional finish for a Kentucky Rifle. And, it looks superb and is easy to do. I have built a couple of muzzle loaders so have done this a few times.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

There's nothing wrong with a blued muzzleloader barrel. I built a Cabela's Hawken kit about 9 years ago. I blued the barrel with Brownell's Oxpho-Blue and it is still on the barrel and looks good. The browning would be a bit more traditional and looks okay. It's not quite as easy as cold bluing but doesn't look hard, just extra process in that you have to heat the barrel up before applying the browning solution. Good point in bringing it up as another option for archie55 to consider.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF