Going shooting, you're invited

Use this section for all other firearms
lklawson

Going shooting, you're invited

Post by lklawson »

OK, I've got a Dr. Appointment next Thur. morning, the 29th. Afterward I will be going to the range to burn a few rounds before going in to work a few hours in the afternoon.

I have a CZ-70 with a lightened hammer-spring which I need to test for reliable ignition. I will be bringing that.

I will also be bringing a Kel Tec PMR-30 which I have not shot yet.

I'll be patronizing Vandalia Range and Armory (http://www.vra-ohio.com/). I am currently planning on being there at about 11 AM. I'll rent a lane for 1/2 hour but if any one else wants to come, I'll stay a bit later.

Bring your own ammo and you can shoot either.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
personl1

Re: Going shooting, you're invited

Post by personl1 »

I would love a brief review of the PMR-30. It is a pistol I have been mulling over for some time now. My wife has a Walther P-22, and the gun shoots great (was the first gun she ever bought with no "expert" help from me). So, in an effort to one up her, wanted to get something with a little more down range pop and still in the .22 family, and being that I don't have anything in .22WMR, I figured it would fit the bill nicely. Your not that far from me, being down here in Cincinnati, but a healthy dose of work will be keeping me away from the range on Thursday.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

personl1 wrote:I would love a brief review of the PMR-30. It is a pistol I have been mulling over for some time now. My wife has a Walther P-22, and the gun shoots great (was the first gun she ever bought with no "expert" help from me). So, in an effort to one up her, wanted to get something with a little more down range pop and still in the .22 family, and being that I don't have anything in .22WMR, I figured it would fit the bill nicely.
There are a lot of good reviews of the PMR-30 but I'll certainly post up my impressions. :)
Your not that far from me, being down here in Cincinnati, but a healthy dose of work will be keeping me away from the range on Thursday.
Yeah, I understand. I'm glad you have a job. :) Truth to be told, if I didn't have a Dr. appointment, I'd be working that day too.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

lklawson wrote:
personl1 wrote:I would love a brief review of the PMR-30. It is a pistol I have been mulling over for some time now. My wife has a Walther P-22, and the gun shoots great (was the first gun she ever bought with no "expert" help from me). So, in an effort to one up her, wanted to get something with a little more down range pop and still in the .22 family, and being that I don't have anything in .22WMR, I figured it would fit the bill nicely.
There are a lot of good reviews of the PMR-30 but I'll certainly post up my impressions. :)
OK, I went shooting today. Wanted to test the reliability of ignition on my CZ-70 with the shortened Hammer Spring. 26 rounds and only one of them required a second strike. Now, this ain't "good" but it does mean I need more testing to see if it was fluke. I'm out of .32ACP ammo for now. I was shooting Fiocci but have a few hundred Prvi on the way to me.

So, my impressions of the PMR-30. My impression is that I'm going to have to buy one for me after I give this one to my dad!

The sights are fantastic. And it is more accurate than I can hold free hand and far beyond the capabilities of my presbiopic eyes. It's light light light, even with a full 30 round mag home in the well. And even then it is pleasant shooting. Light recoil. Very light. I tried, I mean REALLY TRIED to limp wrist it. But it just wouldn't FtFeed from a fairy grip with three fingers. It barks LOUD though. Judging from the bark, I'd say that the claims that a .22WMR from a PMR-30 has the same energy as a light .38 Special "target" round are spot on. For a rimfire, this handgun speaks with authority.

You know the old saying about the Henry repeating rifle?: "Load on Sunday. Shoot all week long." Yeah, a 30 round handgun mag is like that. I had to count rounds or I completely lost track.

There are a few downsides though. First, .22WMR is just a bit less expensive than standard 9mm FMJ range fodder so, while it is cheap shooting, it's not a cheap as .22LR by a looooong stretch. Second, loading the mags properly is a bear. A friend showed me the trick of hammering the butt end of the mag into your off hand while thumbing in a round on top so that the weight of the rounds already in the mag would compress the spring and let you load in the next round. Works great when you're in the last 10 rounds of that 30 round mag. But you have to do it juuuust right or it will misalign the cases in the mag and then the blasted thing won't feed at all. And I do mean "at all." I ended up tap-rack-bang drilling 7 times in the first two mags (well, actually "tap-rack-tap-eject-rack-tap-eject-swear-tap-eject-fiddlewithmagstop-tap-swear-reseat-rack-bang" but you get the idea). If you get the mags loaded right it's luv-you-longtime shooting.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Kirk I would think a Mantis loading tool would help out in mag loading.

I have one and use it on just about every handgun caliber I have althought he double stack 9mm mags can be a little challenging getting it on there.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG001-1.html
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary