juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Ruger M77 or M77 Hawkeye???

Post by juniustaylor »

I have done a little reading. From what I can gather is this:

Ruger M77
Good: Trigger
Potentially Bad: 2 position tang safety, had to put it in fire to unload the chamber.

Ruger M77 Mk II
Good: 3-position safety like the Mausers / Win Mod 70's.
Bad: Trigger sucks.

Ruger M77 Hawkeye
Good: Nothing really, has the 3 pos. safety
Bad: Supposedly the LC6 trigger mechanism isn't that great, other folks claim it's fine. Accuracy also is reported to be not so great, others claim it's fine.

Anyway, looking for real (unbiased) reports as to the claims of these. My father is looking at getting an original M77 which I think would be fine. However, if something falls through and he has to get a Hawkeye, I don't want it to be a piece of crap. Reasoning for going with Ruger in the first place. He wants a .257 Roberts. He really wants a Kimber 84 Classic Select or whatever it is. However, they don't seem to be wanting to produce any right now. Other than that, he'd be looking at an older Win Mod 70 which are up in the mid $1000 - $2000 range which seems ridiculous to me. So, the Ruger seems to me more down to earth in cost and hopefully performance.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
wyo-man

Re: Ruger M77 or M77 Hawkeye???

Post by wyo-man »

Wonder if your father could purchase something and have it re-barreled to .257 Roberts?

wyo-man
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Ruger M77 or M77 Hawkeye???

Post by juniustaylor »

wyo-man, thanks for the comment. We had looked into this once before, several months ago. The cost of trying to rebarrel wasn't very cost effective and neither him nor I have any knowledge of how to do it unless it's a Sauer 202 (takedown). Haha. He has a Winchester M70 that is .22-250 and the action on it was too short to bother having it converted. Even if you already own a gun, just getting the barrel switched out didn't seem too cheap as we looked at several different websites of companies that do that work. For now it looks like he's going with a M77 original. I'd say just because it's an older gun but it does have a factory adjustable trigger. The 2 position safety doesn't seem to bother him and it certainly wouldn't bother me. I don't see what is so hard about keeping your finger away from the trigger as you switch it to fire to take the round out of the chamber. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion!
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF