1911 FTFs from Bad Magazines?

Use this section for all other firearms
zbirdman777

1911 FTFs from Bad Magazines?

Post by zbirdman777 »

I have a Para USA PXT SSP 1911 (whew). When I first got it, it was used and it almost never jammed. maybe 3 times in 500 rounds. Recently it's gotten pretty bad. I had it jam 3 times in 50 rounds Saturday morning and once today in 50 rounds.

I've never had anyone teach me about guns until Saturday morning when I took my CHL class and the instructor told me to slap the magazine from the bottom to fix it. Since he told me this, I can lightly push the magazine and the jam will clear and the round will chamber like normal. So is this a sign of worn out magazines? I've been keeping them clean by taking them apart but it seems they aren't seating well and I believe that is the problem. The magazines are the Para Ordnance 8 round ones that came with the gun.

So if the magazines are the problem, is there a way to fix them? Is it worth it? Or should I just get some new ones, like a Colt Hybrid, Checkmate, or Chip McCormick?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: 1911 FTFs from Bad Magazines?

Post by normsutton »

zbirdman777

you might change the spring in them, don't really know,I don't buy any other 1911 mags but GI 7 round mags , have 3 WW II mags, that still work with the same springs they came with, have about 15 new GI mags never a problem, never understood paying $20 or $30 more for one extra bullet

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

What kind of jam is it? Is it with both mags?
zbirdman777

Post by zbirdman777 »

It's hard to tell if it's with both mags because they are exactly the same mag. Both are the original ones that came with the gun. They are heavily used. I feel like both of them do it but one does it more than the other. Neither of them appear to seat perfectly.

@Normsutton- I saw the mags you were talking about. I think they were $5 apeice on Cheaperthandirt. I was considering them a while back.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

zbirdman777

don't know if those are the same one's I have ,I bought mine a few years ago locally for 5 bucks a piece if you bought more than 2, bought 15 , just read most all the reviews, they seem to be good mages , gave some to papabear & anjdrifter , keeped 10 of them and are still working fine
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

You should consider numbering the mags and keeping track of which one(s) give you the issue. Also, do they misbehave if you load 7 rounds in them instead of the full 8? I've used GI mags, Colt hybrids, Chip McCormick's, and a couple different KimPro mags, and they all seem the same in mine. I favor the McCormick Powermags, though.
zbirdman777

Post by zbirdman777 »

I'm going to do that, but I'm not going to get a chance to shoot much because I'll be busy all week. I bought a Chip McCormick Shooting Star Magazine and it seated properly as compared to the the Para magazines. Also tried my buddy's Kimber magazines and they are fine. I only had Remington UMC JHP rounds to test the mags. I shot 50 rounds again using each magazine twice and I got 1 jam from a Para magazine. I'm about 90% sure it's the worn magazines now. The Para USA mags were the only thing I've ever had and they feel really loose as compared to the kimber and Chip mags. I'll have to mark them like you said and test about 200 rounds of FMJ I guess.