Blowhards and Experts

Use this section for all other firearms
The Only Sarge

Blowhards and Experts

Post by The Only Sarge »

We all read them on the internet, talk to them in the gun store etc.

Well today at the feed store (gun store also) we had a "expert" from a distributor. He was restocking the gun cleaning shelves for the owner......he had this BoreTech Eliminator. I wasnt paying any attention to him but knew the owner (my buddy) was in a rather heated conversation with him. Finally my buddy hollered for me to come over.

This guy said this stuff was the best ever for cleaning powder, carbon, copper. I love it when somebody tells me anything is the best :) I told him I have been using Ed's Red for years...and MilPro7 and Hoppes. He told me I could use all those and his product would still get copper/carbon etc. out after I had a clean patch from those other products. No way Jose.

This big bottle of this stuff was $24. He told me that one bottle would clean a thousand guns as it only takes a few drops per patch. So I made him a bet. I'd clean a gun with all my stuff. And then use his stuff. If I got one bit of copper or stuff out after my stuff I would by the bottle. If not....the bottle was free. My buddy went a step further. If it didnt work he wouldnt carry it at all in his store. If it did he would take a case. Fair enough. So we all agreed this would be the honor system. So here goes my test :)

All my guns stay clean. My squirrel gun ....well not so much. Lil .22LR Marlin. Shot daily as Mother hates squirrels eating her bird food. So I used it as the test gun as it shoots many different brands of bullets.

I cleaned it with my Ed's Red. Cleaned it with MilPro7 and MilPro7 Copper Cleaner. Cleaned it with Hoppes9 and Hoppes Copper Cleaner ( Hoppes Elite)...all white patches. Lily White should I say.

I followed the instructions on the BoreTech Eliminatr and this is what I got first patch.

I am a believer. This stuff is unreal. No Ammonia either.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Blowhards and Experts

Post by juniustaylor »

Very interesting! Thanks for posting this.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Very interesting. Thanks.

I assume it's just supposed to be a cleaner, not a CLP product?

I'll have to hunt it up on the 'net and read the Marketoid blurb.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

Yup....just a cleaner....copper is its specialty....