.410 Truck Gun

Use this section for all other firearms
The Only Sarge

.410 Truck Gun

Post by The Only Sarge »

Grandson #1 has grown out of his first shotgun, I bought him when he was 5. A Mossberg Youth 505.
He now is 8 (thinks he is too old for a lil kids gun) and has a Saiga 20 Gauge.

So Ol Grandpa put a pistol grip on the Mossberg .410 and it now resides under the back seat in my truck. Gotta admit...I forgot how much fun a .410 is.

It holds 4 rounds of 3" buckshot or 5 rounds of 2 1/2" buckshot. 3" has 5 balls of shot and 2 1/2" has 3. Velocity seems to be around 1200FPS for either.

Do you go an extra round (2 1/2" 3 balls) or does the extra buckshot per round (3" 5 balls) have an advantage?

EDIT: Here is the new "Old Man Toy" :)
lklawson

Re: .410 Truck Gun

Post by lklawson »

Nice. I love firearms with a family significance.
The Only Sarge wrote:Do you go an extra round (2 1/2" 3 balls) or does the extra buckshot per round (3" 5 balls) have an advantage?
For the uses I would put to it as a truck gun and the ranges I would expect to use it at, for me, I couldn't see any significant advantage of the extra pellets. At the ranges I would expect, I don't believe the spread would make it more likely to hit some important internal organ. I mean, you're loading it with buck instead of bird or something and you've got a pistol-grip and no shoulder stock, so you're obviously thinking social not bird, pest control, varmintting, or 'yote (or you'd have a rifle or carbine).

I'd go with the extra round. YMMV.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

Yeah....I just didnt want it to go to waste frankly....and God forbid any hand me down guns for the other lil fellars......nope...they want new guns....I dont blame them....

In the bed of the truck (covered) is a homemade rack (on the side) with a .308 Saiga AK. Pig gun deluxe. 7 shot .357 in the console.

This .410 is just cuz. Cuz being cuz I dont have anywhere else for it :) Your right...just family value....maybe my Grandson can put the original stock back on it and give it to his son someday.
If guns are still legal by then :(
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

The Only Sarge wrote:Your right...just family value....maybe my Grandson can put the original stock back on it and give it to his son someday.
If guns are still legal by then :(
That would be very, very cool.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
6x6pinz

Post by 6x6pinz »

well I like 3- 2 1/2 buckshot and 2- 2 1/2 slugs. Great combination for those pesky coyotes that get lucky enough to avoid the close range shots. A little practice and it is amazing how easy it is to hit with the 410 from the hip.

PS make sure you lock your truck if you have it in there.. . . . . don't ask why I would know that:(
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

I dont live in town....but I still (habit) lock my truck/GTO when I get out.
I have dropped a coyote (or two) with a shotgun before. Not a .410 but a 12 gauge.

I admit....I forgot how much punch (velocity) a .410 has. As much as a 12 gauge frankly....just less shot.

Yesterday was gunsmith day around here. Finished a CZ82.. Came out really well.

Installed two AR15 magazine adapters in two Saiga 5.56 rifles. Totally converted one Saiga from scratch.
They are on sale for under $300 bucks at Classic Arms right now. Best buy out there on black rifles.

Here is the Saiga 5.56mm with the AR15 adapter, G2 FCG, threaded barrel, collapsible stock etc. etc. Forgive my filthy work area. Been busy this week and today is cleanup day :)
My version of a Russian AR15 :)

And the CZ82 with a few of my 9X18 JHP loads....
6x6pinz

Post by 6x6pinz »

NICE. I did not realize the S223 could be adapted to use the AR mags. What all is involved? I have done plenty of saiga conversions just never knew I could make one use the AR mag.

The CZ82 is still one of the best little sleepers on the market. I really like the looks of them in the two tones. My next one is going to be an OD frame with black highlights. My aluminum oxide and black turned out very well and sold to a friend before it was finished.
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

....and for any KelTec fans out there (we got off on the wrong foot)
here is my last KelTec project that (knock on wood) has been dead nutt reliable after a total overhaul and .....I found the perfect load for it in 9mm. 8.2g Accurate#7 115g Montana Gold 1.095 OAL. The OAL was the most critical part of the reliability project on this KelTec PF9.

Replaced the hammer block with one of my modified HB's, trigger bar,trigger spring,hammer (modified the cam), extractor and spring....this thing is accurate as heck and so far over 500 rounds of my reloads without a hickup. Before it was every other round had "issues"....
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

6x6pinz wrote:NICE. I did not realize the S223 could be adapted to use the AR mags. What all is involved? I have done plenty of saiga conversions just never knew I could make one use the AR mag.

The CZ82 is still one of the best little sleepers on the market. I really like the looks of them in the two tones. My next one is going to be an OD frame with black highlights. My aluminum oxide and black turned out very well and sold to a friend before it was finished.
I daily CCW my CZ-82....yes with my reloads :) Am I going to hell for that I wonder?

My pal Mike makes the adapters. Rock solid, reliable and look like they came with the gun. He sells them for $70 bucks. Easy to install....about 30 minutes of dremel work on the front trunion to clear the AR mags and that's it. Still can use your stock Saiga magazines afterwards if need be. I have them on all my Saiga 5.56 guns. Makes the 5.56mm magazine issue easier to manage.

I can hook you up with Mikes contact info if you want.

EDIT: Here.....Mike said he dont care if I put this out on the interweb thing.....
renegadebuck@gmail.com
Last edited by The Only Sarge on October 15th, 2011, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
6x6pinz

Post by 6x6pinz »

I can hook you up with Mikes contact info if you want.
That would be great. I am going to be headed up to pick up my S223 next week.
I was up at JG's a couple of weeks ago and for some reason did not get one :oops:

I was there to pick up more 762 x54r as my DPM is bleeding me dry, great rifle but it sure can go through the rounds.
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

I added it to my post above yours but here it is again....Mike is a great guy.....
renegadebuck@gmail.com

Just a side note....the USGI Aluminum mags work great...as some other AR15 mags....but those PMAG plastic things suck butt. I get the DH Industries AR15 mags from 44mag.com for under $10 bucks.
They load and drop free perfect everytime....the PMAGS just are a PITA.
6x6pinz

Post by 6x6pinz »

sent Mike an email. Am getting excited to get the S223 running on AR mags (have lots of them)

BTW how do the beta mags work in the mag well?
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

By "Beta Mags" are you talking stock Saiga or Surefire for Saiga's?
The adapter just clicks in like a magazine then the AR15 mags go in it. Mag release is on the right hand side.
To use the stockers just click the mag adapter out of the gun.....load the stock mags and go to town.
6x6pinz

Post by 6x6pinz »

actually I was thinking of the AR 100 round twin drum in the adapter:)
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

Absolutely.
There is a picture of Mikes brother with a AR15 drum on his Saiga with the adapter somewhere.
Let me see if I can find it.