How do I interpret this...

Use this section for all other firearms
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

How do I interpret this...

Post by juniustaylor »

Roundabout story. I have a 1931 Mosin that I sporterized. Put on a plastic stock, sold my original wood stock. Shot like crap, blamed it on a couple scopes. Shimmed the plastic stock to sort of simulate being bedded. Shot much better, brought the group size down. Bought an original wood stock. Seems to have brought the group size down some more. However, I am still at about a 4" group if I go by this target. The bullets are hitting left, however, I aimed at the same spot to see how they would stack up with each other. I shot 6 rounds, reloads and a trusty load they are. Winchester brass, CCI 200 primers, 49 grains IMR4064, 150 grain Hornady SP #3120 bullets.

I labeled the shots as 1 & 4, 2 & 5, etc. However, that doesn't mean that the holes are exactly 1 and 4 or 2 and 5, it just means that either of the 2 holes are either-or. If that makes sense. However, I am pretty sure that the way I have them listed is the correct order.

Does this look like a lousy rifle, a stock issue, or a scope? I'm sure it's not me.

Here's the picture.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
superferrite

Re: How do I interpret this...

Post by superferrite »

I dunno, but I'm in the same boat! Just scoped my worst looking but sweetest action Mosin, with the ring safety and everything. Having the same issues!
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

superferrite, is it in the old wood stock or crappy ATI plastic stock? It's raining all weekend here so I won't be able to shoot it any time soon. This evening I loaded up some .30-30 ammo.
yoslick

Post by yoslick »

Sounds about usual, what dia. bullets you reloading? Lot of these Mosins are chambered on the large side ie: .310-.315 you using 30 cal (308's) go on over to surplusrifle.com and theres a ton of info on Mosins and loads that peeps are using..

I'd have to say though a 4" group at 100 yds would be a dead deer in my neck of the woods....
DCC(SW/MTS) USN-Ret. 75-95
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

yoslick, I am using .312" bullets in my reloads. These loads shoot dang good from my M38 and '37 91/30 rifles. This is a '31 91/30 that I did some sporterization to, and it's never shot good. It'd be a dead deer here in Missouri too, but it's just not good enough when I've got a scope on it. Iron sights would be more acceptable at a 4" group.