Star Super Modelo A

Use this section for all other firearms
blackblade

Star Super Modelo A

Post by blackblade »

I took out a few Spanish Star Super Modelo (and a Star A) guns to the gun club. These are C&R guns that are chambered in 9x23 Largo. The weather was overcast, at about 55F and a slight north-west crosswind. I had some 1977 9x23 mm Largo ammo to test out as well. The 9mm Largo is comparable to the .38 Super and in fact the Star Super Modelo A guns will shoot the .38 Super without any difficulty. I shot these guns the same day that I tested out the four Argentine FM Hi-Powers.

left to right 9x17, 9x18, 9x19 and 9x23

(left to right: Star Super Modelo A and Star Model A 1950 Air Force)

The Star A may be either a 1921 or 1922 version. These shoot the 9mm Largo but shooting the Super 38 is apparently not recommended.

All these guns shot very well with no misfires and all fed flawlessly. I was pleasantly surprised at how well these guns shot. They were fairly accurate and given that the ammo is relatively cheap when bought by the case, these are a decent bargain.

They are rather accurate at about 25 yards.

I don't know where we can get these guns anymore except for secondary auction sites.Sarco Inc. used to sell them for as little as $130 each. They do come in occasionally and I hear that Sarco may still have some from time to time in the future. However, the prices may increase should they become available again. Another potential problem is when the supply of surplus ammo dries up. So far I have a few cases but I should add more as the only other suppliers are commercial makers who make very limited runs. For now they are a "cheap" gun with (for now) availbale "cheap" ammo.

- Black Blade
polock

Re: Star Super Modelo A

Post by polock »

Black Blade--Nice collection of Spanish Steel! I enjoy my Star Modelo Supers (bought from Sarco) as they "fit" my hand better than a full-size M1911.
Just wish parts (esp. bbls.) were more available--
Starline has newly made brass, and I understand regular .38 Super dies will work for reloading.

Surprised there isn't more interest in these fine guns, as well as the Astra 400 & 600.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

blackblade,

Very nice collection of the older Star's, there are a few of us here that really like the Stars along with the older Llama's and Astra's. Here are my two Stars.

Star PD 45acp / grips by Gun Grip Guys

Star BM 9mm / grips by Gun Grip Guys
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

Nice guns! Stars are grossly under-rated imo.

The ammo is still available and fairly cheap in bulk. I buy from Long Mountain Outfitters and Ammunition To Go by the case (2,000 rnds). I haven't seen any vendors come up with any new batches lately so the supply of surplus Stars may be exhausted. I hope to have enough ammo for a lifetime supply before that's exhausted too.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

Nice STARS they really are stars in the gun world...
here are 2 of my favorites.
Star BM with grip guys wood
Star lancer in 22
kilogulf59

Post by kilogulf59 »

We love our Modelo A Supers, hell i carry min in the cold months...mines stock and my son's is customized...I just wish there were new barrels for them.

Don't worry about ammo, you can either make up your own Largo or reload .38 Super for them. BTW, this outfit makes some "duty" type Largo ammo. I haven't tried it and am not affiliated with them http://shop.reedsammo.com/category.sc?categoryId=12

Take Care and Stay Safe,
Ken aka kilogulf59

Integrated Close Combat Forum
daven

Post by daven »

I have used Reed's for the "unknown" 0.41 Special and they are a class outfit. Ended up with 500 cases as they have the correct head stamp (special run from Starline; pun not intended!). They are not cheap but they do have unusual ammo. Daven
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

daven wrote:I have used Reed's for the "unknown" 0.41 Special and they are a class outfit. Ended up with 500 cases as they have the correct head stamp (special run from Starline; pun not intended!). They are not cheap but they do have unusual ammo. Daven
How long does it take them? I never used them before but now have had an order in for about a month now.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

kilogulf59,

Great looking Star Super Modelo A, who did the grips?"
kilogulf59

Post by kilogulf59 »

The entire pistol was done my Mr. Sam Damewood of Alamogordo MN who, do to the massive increase in ATF license fees, is no longer smithing…he made the grips of African Purple Wood and inlaid an ivory diamond for Matt’s initials.

Sam also built two identical S$W M65’s for my daughters…those are slicker ‘n snot!

His work can be seen on many of the gun forums…

Matt’s Custom Star

My Girl’s Custom S&W’s
Take Care and Stay Safe,
Ken aka kilogulf59

juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Those are some nice guns KG59. I checked out those websites you posted there.

I wonder how these guns would do if they could be converted to 7.62x25 Tokarev. A long time ago conversion barrels were made for the CZ-52 that would allow you to shoot 9mm Largo through it, and I guess they did fairly well once you fixed some minor bugs. The Tok ammo would be cheap to shoot. The mag well should have sufficient room that may accommodate the Tok round, the barrel would be the tricky part to make + to figure out what springs to use to get everything to sync right.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

kilogulf59,

Very nice work on both, I also appreciate the renovation on the 65's and your right, they are slicker 'n snot, thanks for the info.
daven

Post by daven »

I found it took about three weeks but you can always give him a call. His website has his telephone number as far as I remember. Daven
protector

Post by protector »

I gotta get one of these!!!
kilogulf59

Post by kilogulf59 »

I have 100 rounds of 124 grain XTP JHP loaded to 1260 FPS incoming for "duty" use...

I don't think I'd want to be hit by these...
Take Care and Stay Safe,
Ken aka kilogulf59