Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II - 45 caliber - 3" Barrel

Use this section for all other firearms
robalan

Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II - 45 caliber - 3" Barrel

Post by robalan »

Do any of you have experience or thoughts on this Kimber. I took a look at one and I am really tempted to get one.
Foo Bird

Re: Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II - 45 caliber - 3" Barrel

Post by Foo Bird »

All I can tell you is I have a .45 from another manufacturer with a 3.5in barrel and it's a handful.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

My brother-in-law has the Pro Carry version. I played around with his friends' Ultra of the exact same model. Here is my take...

The Ultra felt too small. I couldn't get enough of a grip that I was confident in, and that to me is step 1. I've heard numerous negative things about sub 4.25" barrels in 1911's regarding reliability and timing. While I have no first-hand experience with this, I can tell you that Kimber elected to relive the front of the ejection port along with the normal rear to aid in brass clearing successfully. There was obviously a reason for that. I'd rather have the full sized grip, the extra round, and the plentiful array of readily available mags. Kimber says you need to fire 500 rounds as a 'break in period' before they deal with most reliability warranty work, which I also find unacceptable.

The Pro Carry (first-hand shooting exp):
The gun feels a little top heavy when unloaded, no doubt due to it's aluminum frame and steel slide. When a fully loaded mag was inserted, it felt nice. The sights are plain-jane with zero dots, and in my opinion, suck in anything but ideal lighting. (My optimal carry setup is plain notched rear with single tritium front). The gun was rather snappy and after each shot and you almost got the sense that there was a brief period of resonance - almost like the vibrations of a bell ringing out. Again, I can only attribute that to it's lightweight frame. The steel 1911's I've shot don't feel that way to me. Or, it could be me...I'm weird like that sometimes, I guess. I can only assume that shooting one with even less weight with an inch less of barrel would be even jumpier. The laser was useless after 15 yards, and within that range, was distracting. When trying to use the laser to hit random objects, it was almost like looking through someone elses' prescription glasses; it was doable, but went against what came naturally. I spent most of the time shooting it with the laser off. I know some folks like having the laser and shoot well with them; I guess I'm not one of those guys

With both of them:
When I place my index finger along the side of the frame (as we all should), I effectively covered up the laser. It actually took me a few to figure out why I was aiming this thing with the laser on and saw no red dot. I'm also not a big fan of the bull barrel and captive spring setup and would much rather have a bushing. The recessed slidestop pin is a nice touch.

In my opinion, it's a bit overpriced, looks great, and I'm sure carries well. I think you could do better at the price point unless you're getting an amazing deal. From doing some reading over the past 6 moths at the 1911forum, it seems hit or miss with reliability. Either way, there are a ton of people that love 'em, and I'm sure you'd probably be one of them if it felt good in the hand.

Good luck!
robalan

Post by robalan »

I just saw a picture of a Kimber Ultra Covert II. That tax refund sure makes it tempting.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I'd look at a Glock 45 model 30, they are all very small, compleatly reliable and one half or less the cost of the Kimber. Don't get me wrong, I would invest in the Kimber if I could buy it at cost plus 5% as an investment, but for a daily use pistole it is way to expensive to bang up in the range bag and holster; in my honest opinion.
That being said I know you are going to buy the Kimber because they are so darned cool looking! 8)
Good luck with your purchase, I know you'll have fun with it..
G.R.
tlandon

Post by tlandon »

I carry a Kimber SS Ultra Carry II. It's the best carry gun I've owned, and I've owned a lot of different ones.
It's easy to shoot, is scary accurate and very easy to carry.
As mentioned before the only "problem" is the grip is kind of short.