Kel-Tec P3AT

Use this section for all other firearms
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Kel-Tec P3AT

Post by gunneyrabbit »

If any of you fellows own a Kel-Tec P3AT/Ruger LCP pistol, I would be interested in what 380 ammunition you feel is acceptable for range and carry shooting?
CorBon warns that their ammo is not suitable for use in a P3AT, what about Talon, Remington, Winchester,Hornady;Magsafe, etc..
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on July 18th, 2009, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martilyo
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Kel-Tec P3AT

Post by martilyo »

I use Silver Bear JHP in my Keltec with no issues.
commandercob

Kel-Tec P3AT

Post by commandercob »

We carry Gold Dot HPs in our P3AT, and I know many others on the Kel-Tec users group do the same. I also must admit that I've only run one magazine of them through the gun, so I have no certainty of their reliability. Also, many claim a polishing of the feed ramp can dramatically improve reliability. Hope this helps.
blackblade

Kel-Tec P3AT

Post by blackblade »

No problem with any brand or type in my LCP so far.

Last edited by blackblade on July 23rd, 2009, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Kel-Tec P3AT

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Thanks guys, does any one know what the manufacturer recommends for range or carry?
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on August 2nd, 2009, 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Kel-Tec P3AT

Post by papabear »

gunney,

I head that the MagSafe ammo is too hot for the Kel-Tec P3AT, and that MagSafe is putting a warning on their .380 ammo box's. I don't own a .380 so don't have any input on this.

This was posted back in 1-07
http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/2628- ... wners.html
POINT SHOOTER
hangfire

Kel-Tec P3AT

Post by hangfire »

MagTech 95 grain FMC is my P3AT carry ammo of choice. Muzzle velocity exceeds, and muzzle energy approaches, .38 special. Once a year or so I'll light off a few rounds at the range just to stay in practice but for the most part it stays in the pocket holster - definitely is not a fun gun to shoot.
martilyo
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Kel-Tec P3AT

Post by martilyo »

Hangfire, you're absolutely right, the Keltec is no fun to shoot st the range. But, along with the LCP, they are very thin, lightweight and easy to conceal. I have no problems carrying it everywhere I go!
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Kel-Tec P3AT

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I loaded up 150 rounds of 380 ACP using 2.9 grs. of 231 Winchester powder pushing 93gr. hard cast lead bullets. Ammo runs about 820 fps from a four inch barrel and extended use is down right hard on the the trigger finger; grip is way to thin and short. I find I'm good for about fifty rounds before the pistol gets stowed in it's little zippered pouch.
The pistol is accurate for such a short barrel and thin short grip, how ever it does take a lot of concentration to shoot it accurately at fifty feet; groups are pretty erratic at that distance.

Interestingly enough, I did find an old Star seven round 380 ACP magazine that feeds the ammunition properly and makes shooting the pistol very friendly; my trigger loves it. I do need to make a device that will hold the magazine stable and to create a better finger rest. I find that I can get all three fingers on the magazine and the trigger finger problem disappeared.

It's a nice little carry pistol that will replace my P32 for Summer carry if it does not shoot its self to pieces the way the first generation pistols did.
G.R.

P.S.
To date I've not been able to field strip the pistol, I'm fallowing the factory instructions but I'm not having much luck, any one got a clue what I'm doing wrong?
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on August 17th, 2009, 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Kel-Tec P3AT

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Papabear, thanks for the heads up regarding the MagSafe ammo. I guess I'll stick to my own loads, Norm has turned me into a believer in lead bullets, like he says; lead mashes up pretty good on contact.
G.R.
rottenrick

Kel-Tec P3AT

Post by rottenrick »

Gunnyrabbit,
High speed lead injection works everytime. In my travels in S.Georgia I ..,yet too see a single box of factory .380. Not a one, except reloads. You guessed it, cast lead bullets, some even in HP.
Pretty bleak out there. I brought my 3rd and 4th box Hornady just a week ago. The walmart in Bainbridge has a good supply line, but the the grapevine tells everyone and his brother when a new shipment is in
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Kel-Tec P3AT

Post by papabear »

gunneyrabbit,

Hey your welcome, I don't own any .380 guns, but I have a couple friends that do and they are the ones that put me on to the MagSafe info. Norm got me started in reloading and I really like shooting the lead cast bullets, I have not reloaded 9x18 yet as I have so much 9x18 ammo on hand, MFS, Mesko, Norinco and S&B about 2000 rds yet, but I'm saving all my 9mm brass to trim back to 9x18 size when the day comes that I need to reload 9x18, as you know its hard to find the 9x18 cases, the P-64 slings them into the next county and they are hard to find, at least they are for me.

Question: what size hard cast bullets do you use for your 9x18, .364, .365 or .366, I am thinking of looking for lead cast 9x18 and was surprised to see those three different sizes some make, and do you use a mold or buy your cast bullets. I'm getting my 45LC, .45acp, .38/.357 and 9mm from Missouri Bullet Co. but they don't carry anything for the 9x18 yet, but I have had really good results with their bullets.

http://www.missouribullet.com/index.php
POINT SHOOTER
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Kel-Tec P3AT

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Papabear, the 9x18's are 96gr, 365 diameter. The 380 and 9mm are 356 diameter, 93gr and 125 gr consecutively. The 38/357 are both 125 gr, 358 diameter.
All are Moly coated but the 380 ACP and all function flawlessly in my pistole's. I find if I slow the bullet speed down the accuracy increases on all of the loads, I can't explain why, all I know is that it works.
By the way I've been shooting Moly coated lead rounds through CZ 82 and no leading so far with good accuracy.
G.R.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Kel-Tec P3AT

Post by papabear »

gunneyrabbit,

Thanks for the numbers on the 9x18, I too use a 125gr .356 dia for cast 9mm. Interesting to read you use moly coated cast, I have read a lot of opinions on moly coating, it seems its 50-50 yea and nay, I have never used moly coating but it could be in my future. As for as slowing down the speed of the bullet I have also found that is does improve accuracy on most of my loads, I discovered this with my 45lc cast loads, and applied it to my .45acp and .357 loads as well, not only does it improve on accuracy but pretty much eliminates leading, I try to keep all my cast loads below 900 fps as my guru Norm suggested when I first started learning the art of reloading, that Norm is a gem in just about all gun related areas, I lean on him a lot for what, how and why info....... ;D

Of late I've been finding some decent deals on jacketed bullets and have started gathering small amounts in 9mm and .38/357, but the supply of jacketed .45lc and 45acp is still hard to find, at decent prices, but all in all I prefer cast bullets for practice, plinking and just plain ole busting paper.

Papa
POINT SHOOTER
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Kel-Tec P3AT

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I've been shooting Bear Creek 205gr Moly coated 45 LC round nose for about two months and I really like the way the Moly prints such a large dark hole on the target. Their 185gr lead SWC is very accurate out of my Cobra Patriot 45 and is the load I use when I carry that pistol.

I'm afraid that I'm in the same situation that rottenrick finds himself, plenty of jacketed ammo if you can get to it fast enough and are willing to pay the ridiculous prices.

So many different loads and so little time to have so much fun.
G.R. :)
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on August 20th, 2009, 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.