Kel-Tec P3AT

Use this section for all other firearms
pshootr

Kel-Tec P3AT

Post by pshootr »

"gunneyrabbit" wrote:

To date I've not been able to field strip the pistol, I'm fallowing the factory instructions but I'm not having much luck, any one got a clue what I'm doing wrong?
G.R.
Can you describe your problem in more detail?
How are you having trouble when it comes to field stripping your P3-AT?

You may want to check out:
http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=104
http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/p3at-fingerrest.htm
http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/MagSafe.htm
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Kel-Tec P3AT

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Hay PshootR, do I have to worry about chinking with this pistol and if so should I look for a suitable nylon product to create the bushing from? I recall several years ago at the Kel-Tec owners group that chinking was a big problem, whats your opinion?
GR.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Kel-Tec P3AT

Post by gunneyrabbit »

OK, I finally got this thing apart. I find that if I pull the barrel and the slide back slightly I am able to remove the take down pin from the pistol. I gave it a good cleaning, oil and grease in the appropriate places and off to the range I went.
Accuracy is very good with the Astra magazine in place, much better than with the factory magazine. Pistol is much easier to control with the longer mag and I find that out to twenty one feet the pistol can be fired rapidly with excellent accuracy, much farther than that and I need to slow down for improved trigger control and a good sight picture. I know that this may sound funny but up to twenty-one feet you can actually use the minuscule front sight to good result. This is a very nice little pistol and makes an excellent carry weapon, slim and very easy to conceal, fits very nicely in your front pocket using the factory carry pouch as a holster. Make no mistake, it will never replace a larger caliber pistol or revolver but it can be hidden in plain sight and that is a huge benefit.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on August 26th, 2009, 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
pshootr

Kel-Tec P3AT

Post by pshootr »

gunneyrabbit wrote:Hay PshootR, do I have to worry about chinking with this pistol and if so should I look for a suitable nylon product to create the bushing from? I recall several years ago at the Kel-Tec owners group that chinking was a big problem, whats your opinion?
GR.
See this thread on the Kel-Tec forum
http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB. ... 765369/0#3
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Kel-Tec P3AT

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I've been loading 93gr match lead bullets with 3.2gr of Winchester 231 powder for range loads with very good accuracy. All rounds in the nine and ten rings on half silhouette targets at fifty feet shooting very slowly and deliberately. Recoil is very soft with that load. I kicked up the loads to 3.7gr and the recoil is noticeably sharper, accuracy is still very good with all rounds hitting in the nine and ten rings respectively, still no leading of the barrel. At this point I find I prefer the shorter magazine for pocket carry,how ever the pistol is not at all easy to draw from a pocket.
The holster thing is going to take some consideration.
G.R.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Kel-Tec P3AT

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Here is something that I thought you fellows might find interesting.
I took my Astra Constable, Llama MicroMax and the Kel-Tec P3AT to the range today and shot at 21' and 55' off of bag rests.
All three guns shot to point of aim at 21', but the little Kel-Tec out shot both the Astra and Llama at 55'.
This may not be a completely fair trial as I shoot double action pistole's much more often than I do single action and find that my single action skills have faltered.

The thing that is more important in my mind is that Kel-Tec seems to have turned a corner in their manufacturing ills and is again creating budget, high quality, pistole's that people can trust to work when required. These little guns may have lives that are shorter than conventional metal construction, only time will tell. I still put fifty rounds of 45 through my Cobra Patriot weekly and the gun keeps on shooting as well as ever.
I like this little pistol and will trust it for carry when larger pistole's are not appropriate.
G.R.
Mhartler

Re: Kel-Tec P3AT

Post by Mhartler »

gunneyrabbit wrote:OK, I finally got this thing apart. I find that if I pull the barrel and the slide back slightly I am able to remove the take down pin from the pistol. I gave it a good cleaning, oil and grease in the appropriate places and off to the range I went.
Accuracy is very good with the Astra magazine in place, much better than with the factory magazine. Pistol is much easier to control with the longer mag and I find that out to twenty one feet the pistol can be fired rapidly with excellent accuracy, much farther than that and I need to slow down for improved trigger control and a good sight picture. I know that this may sound funny but up to twenty-one feet you can actually use the minuscule front sight to good result. This is a very nice little pistol and makes an excellent carry weapon, slim and very easy to conceal, fits very nicely in your front pocket using the factory carry pouch as a holster. Make no mistake, it will never replace a larger caliber pistol or revolver but it can be hidden in plain sight and that is a huge benefit.
G.R.
Hi,
What model Star Astra magazine are you using with the P3AT?
Thanks!
Marc
doggit

Re: Kel-Tec P3AT

Post by doggit »

hornady critical defence 380.just like my p64 9x18