Help me decide!

Use this section for all other firearms
hvacken

Help me decide!

Post by hvacken »

Going to make a new purchase. I'm having a hard time trying to decide between a Bulgarian Mak or a CZ 82. I do plan on getting both eventually. Which one would you pick, and why?
mattwestm

Re: Help me decide!

Post by mattwestm »

If you plan on carrying the pistol, I'd get a CZ-82 from AIM for $219 with free shipping. I must admit that the Maks are a bit more collectible, but you will be paying at least $300 for one in good condition. I'd go for the CZ-82. More magazine capacity, better trigger pull, and polygonal rifling.

I bought one a little while ago, but I still want a Mak, haha.
mirother

Post by mirother »

hvacken,
J&G has Bulgarian Mak's for $230 until the end of May. It depends on your time frame. The CZ's should be around for a little while yet. It is hard to beat that deal on a Mak.
dwd

Post by dwd »

I'd choose the cz-82 but that is a really good deal from J&G on the Mak
hangfire

Post by hangfire »

Have and am a huge fan of both, slightly partial to CZ 82. One reason to possibly pick the CZ is that most parts for 83, which is still in production, and 82 are interchangeable.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Both?? Give up beer for a month? Not eat fast food for a while?? Just remember " Beer has food value, food has no Beer value". Good bye fast food.
hvacken

Post by hvacken »

Give up beer for a month? Let's try and be a bit realistic please. :lol:
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

If you do decide on the Mak, SOG has unissued ones covered in cosmoline for $259 plus you get the extra mag and lanyard over J&G's one mag, two grips, and holster. Also the parts argument holds no water as Mak parts are still very much available. I'd see the Maks running out before parts do.

Overall they are both good guns. Although they are both 9x18, they were designed about two decades apart so they are hard to compare. Of course the CZ is going to have more modern features, double stack, amby controls, poly rifling, etc. But to me the biggest advantage the Mak has is the decocker. Plus since it is single stack it's thinner for CC. Also consider the finish most Maks come in a nice polished blueing, where the CZ comes with that flaky baked stuff, easily fixed though if you take the time.

Just my two pennies.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Shotgun News has places where you can order MAK parts. My wife says she'ed rather I read Playboy. Everytime I read SGN it ends up costing us money.
piaggior
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by piaggior »

I like both, but I prefer the Makarov because of it's simplicity. I think it has only 30 parts total. I once refinished a CZ-82 and was amazed by how many parts it had.
hvacken

Post by hvacken »

Well, I went with the CZ 82 from AIM. I'll post pics when I get it. Now to start saving for the Mak!
daven

Post by daven »

A wise move. If you want a Mak then look for either one of the Russian Army ones (sometimes come up on sale on Empire Arms) or if you can find one, the East German Mak made by Suhl. I picked one up as a C&R around 10 years or so ago for what would now be considered a steal, even allowing for inflation. Extremely accurate at 7 metres. I have two of the CZ82s (thanks to a C&R licence) and enjoy shooting all, though have only used reloads for years. Daven