Romanian TTC Tokarev pistol

Use this section for all other firearms
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

Those grips look nice! Did you fit them with the same original locking mechanism as on the original grips? I was hoping that someone would be making custom grips someday but that lock on the underside of the grips seems to be a problem. I saw that a Canadian gunowner had Chinese western-style grips (Tokagypt?) mounted to a couple Tokarevs in Canada but not anywhere else.

I have been using an old Leatherman case to carry an extra magazine for some guns (including the Tokarev). It works out well and is inconspicuous.
dom

Post by dom »

Thanks blackblade,
The custom grips were attached in like manner as originals, but i made my own hardware and locating spacers from .040 thk 410 stainless steel.

BTW- Dennis now has Tok custom grips up for sale on his website. I don't own any of his grips, but going by the pics, his work appears to be 1st rate.
http://www.marschalgrips.com/tt33wr/tt33wr.htm
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Dom, I have a set of oil finished walnut from Dennis for the P-64. They look like the flat one's he has for the TTC-33 on his web site, wonderful!! But, I think the checkered red wattle would look good against the bluing, or the oil finished walnut. What do you think?
dom

Post by dom »

Yeah, i'm with you Rick. Of all the grips shown on his site, checkered red waddle would be my 1st choice. I especially like the ones for the CZ-82 with the CZ logo in the center.

BTW Rick, your grips for the P-64 fit ok as received or did you have to tweak them a little (sanding or filing)?
Last edited by dom on June 28th, 2009, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Dom, One grip didn't want to snap in, but it wasn't Dennis's fault the mag frame machining was a little canted, took a piece off the width of a hair, half inch long. The grips came together perfectly, no gaps, looseness, zero discrepancies. That was it, money very well spent. My grips are flat sided, I don't like thumb ridges. Mainly because I'm left handed, most are made for right handers. That's just the way it is,but to me they're a pain in the butt.
nitrousnoel

Post by nitrousnoel »

Dom,

I would love to have a pair of grips like that for my chinese TT33. Are you selling any time soon?
Last edited by nitrousnoel on June 30th, 2009, 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

Last edited by blackblade on November 28th, 2009, 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
dom

Post by dom »

nitrousnoel wrote:Dom,
I would love to have a pair of grips like that for my chinese TT33. Are you selling any time soon?
noel- Thanks for the compliment, and welcome to the forum.
I generally don't make any to sell, but really enjoy working on my own as much for the challenge as having some new grips. Truth is mine are done the old fashioned way (one at a time). I have so many hours in each set, to sell them i'd be working for minimum wage (or less).
That's why i encourage anyone who is in the market for Tok grips to check Dennis's website. They appear to be of the highest quality.

This is only a guess, but i suspect his are made with a CNC milling machine or machining center. That way, once his program is written and tooling set up, he produce them in both quantity and quality that allows him to make a decent profit.

dgposton,
My apologies to you for taking this thread off topic. Wasn't trying to highjack. Trying to get back on topic...

The 7.62x25 rnd. has a rather stout recoil, but quite manageable. I compare it to my Kahr P9 (polymer frame 9mm). I've shot a many as 100 rounds per range session with my TTCs without any problems.

My TTCs have been reliable enough that i keep one loaded w/ Wolf JHP as one of my home defense weapons. May not be a good idea if you live in an urban setting, but out here in the country i'm ok doing it.

If your looking for more reading, Surplusrifle forum has a subsection or Russian military pistols:
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewforum.php?f=71
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Dom, Dennis's grip are CNC machined. Not only are the grips good, but they're made by a good guy. Look up the 'Grip Karma' threads, he also put's his family first. Which is big plus to me.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

I've seen one TOK in 9mm with the wrap around grips. It was a Norinco, so it must have happened before the ban was in place. That ban is a real shame. There's a Canadian gun broker Martsen??? That has all kinds of Norinco stuff that's pretty cool. I do know a guy that has a Norinco 1911. The quality was very good.
amd6547

Post by amd6547 »

I don't consider the 7.62x25 to have stout recoil at all...In fact, I consider the Tokarev to be rather soft shooting.
I would like to try some Wolf JHP ammo in my Tok, but I haven't been able to find any.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
dom

Post by dom »

Purchased my Wolf Gold JHP back in February from J&G Sales for $39.90, 100 rds. They are now out. Sportsman Guide claims they will have some in stock around July 20th.

Yeah, firearm recoil is subjective for sure. Some folks think the P-64 recoil is rough. I don't think it's bad at all, even with stock springs. Alot of variables including stance, grip type and pressure can make a big difference.
First time i shot 50 rds through my CZ-82, the web of my hand felt like somebody whacked it with a 5 iron. Minor change in grip and pressure solved my pain.

Here's a couple of videos on shooting the Tok:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vn71CPF ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1QGPXsEOLw&NR=1
popeels09

Post by popeels09 »

Dom, Were did you get the plug for your TTC where the safety used to be? Is it custom?
dom

Post by dom »

I turned the plugs on the manual lathe from cold rolled steel. The radius around the trigger was roughed down on the belt sander, light press fit into place, and then blended in with a half round file and emory cloth before the spray on refinish.
Import required safety and lanyard loop were saved in order to return to original condition if needed.
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

Ask and ye shall recieve. Today the UPS van deposited a Romanian Tokarev, a couple "spam cans" of Romanian 7.62x25 ammo (Tokarev), 5 spare Tokarev magazines, as well as 20 Romanian AK-47 magazines.

Got another one and more ammo. They do kind of grow on ya.