Cobra Patriot 45

Use this section for all other firearms
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by himmel »

OK--Thanks guys, I guess that's what they are talking about on those "newfangled" guns when the talk about the trigger "resetting"...or is that something else altogether?? Anyway, thanks again GR and DW...and yes, I'm glad I stick to milsurp... ;)
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Did not sleep well last night and was not able to shoot my best. How ever, the Cobra is a lot better pistol than I am a shooter. I was unable to put together a four inch group at fifty feet but several seven and one eight inch group out of fifty rounds is not bad for a tired guy at twenty one plus feet. I haven't kept a careful count but I'm sure I have over five hundred rounds through the pistol and I will feel very comfortable carrying the pistol for defense under the right situation. I have decided this is a late Fall and Winter carry pistol. When I consider the reduced length and width of the pistol I would find it hard to carry without bulky clothing to cover it or a fanny pack/ bag to carry it in during the warmer months of the year. For those of you who still think inexpensive means cheap I would challenge you on this point regarding this pistol. The item is well made for what it is, it is a self defense handgun, period. It is not a target pistol, and heaven knows it is not pretty. The trigger by most standards would be considered unacceptable for long range shooting, but for out to forty plus feet I feel it is acceptable for use in a stress situation where your life may be on the line. I have shot this pistol from every angle possible, the only thing I haven't done with it is run and gun, sorry I don't belong to a facility that that has those capability's. I will keep making weekly entries as is possible, it is back to work for me tomorrow after close to a months vacation. Gosh I can't tell you how much I hate even the sound of that statement.
One last comment before I close, I believe a competent smith could make this pistol a sheer joy to shoot, not unlike the P-64 and PA-63 pistole's with the proper springs installed. The pistol is accurate and I'm not sure why the manufacturer has chosen not to reduce the spring weights other than liability issues? It is after all a handgun.
G.R.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by grayfox »

I have seen them but never fired one. If you can only shoot FMJ, try the pow-r-ball, thats what I carry in my P-64 for serious social encounters.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Thanks for the input grayfox.
G.R. :)
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Shot both the brute Cobra 45 Patriot and my new S&W today, I really like both of these pistole's. Interestingly enough the trigger on the Patriot 45 isn't heavier than the S&W 340 PD. Also the trigger pull on the Cobra is not much longer than the S&W but is still a little gravely feeling. Groups get a little better each time I practice with the pistol. I will post again next week with more information.
G.R.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Finally got to the range after the holidays and an onslaught of post holiday visitors, my children were here from New Mexico and we got to see the grand children for four days. Shot the Cobra once again and was impressed, once again, by how much the trigger has improved and how accurate the pistol is. Only time will tell how long the pistol will last but I tend to believe the manufacturers statements regarding their test pistol having ten thousand rounds through it without a failure to function. I'll keep making periodic entries regarding the pistol in hopes of making a convert or two. One of the really nice side affects of owning and shooting this pistol is that I've become a very good shot with my other double action pistole's and revolvers.
G.R. :)
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Put another hundred rounds through the Cobra this morning and at this point the trigger and the recoil feel very much like my 9mm Taurus Millennium Pistol. Very Nice! Accuracy is better than when I first purchased the pistol and the trigger just keeps getting better and better, put two and two together. There was a recent article in January 2008 issue of Guns and Ammo about the superior quality of inexpensive American made hand guns and the reliability of those products. The report lauded the quality of current generation manufacturing techniques making hand guns of historically dubious quality items to be relied upon. Previous articles in Gun Tests magazine give credence to the reports from Guns and Ammo. Those of you who have fallowed this thread will remember that I made the comment that inexpensive does not mean cheap and my belief is that the item is inexpensive because it has only a hammer drop safety, is double action only with the added benefit of second strike capability. I believe with my whole heart that this is the truth regarding this pistol. I also feel that the manufacturer could have spent many more dollars and hours perfecting each pistol and the price would have sky rocketed along with the extra effort and add ons. I'm going to step out on a limb here and say that with certain proviso's I would recommend this pistol to a friend. Better than that I would let any of my friends shoot the pistol and make up there own minds about the weapon. I can not see much that can go wrong with the pistol, it is as simple as an automatic design can get an still function reliably. Fit and finish is as good or better than guns that are far more expensive. My Kel-Tec hand guns that I carried and relied upon for years were less accurate and no matter what I did to them the triggers were always horrible, frame to slide fit is as good as my Kahr PM9 with fewer areas for grit and grime to get inside the frame and slide.
These are my current thoughts on the weapon, if something breaks or goes awry in the future I will give you a full detailed report as well as weekly range reports.
Gunny Rabbit.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on February 18th, 2008, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by himmel »

I really like these kind of reports, inexpensive guns that are inexpensive because they are "no frills", not because they don't work...
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Took the Cobra to the range today and put one hundred rounds through it with out a hitch, shoots like a dream. I guess it's about time to take it down and give it a good cleaning. You may recall that I had decided to see how many rounds I could put through it before it would fail to function? Sorry but I can't stand it any more, the thing is so grimy that it's driving me nuts just to look at it and pick it up. It's going to get an overnight soak in WD40 a good scrub,wipe down and then it is back to the range again next week. I did notice that the springs felt like they were stacking up just before ignition and I'm sure that the lack of cleaning is the problem; I'll give the full rundown next week.
G.R.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by grayfox »

Gunney,
Great report. Sounds like you have a winner on your hands. :)
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Made it to the range on Monday and took the Cobra 45, S&W 357 and my SIG P225. Decided to shoot the Smith first and that was a mistake. Put a hundred rounds of 357 down range and was done with that pistol for the day. Shot fifty rounds through the Cobra and nothing has changed with the gun. I however noticed that a hundred rounds of 357 in the 340PD was probably fifty too many. Put down the Cobra and shot another fifty rounds of 9MM through the SIG, a very reliable and accurate pistol with a beautiful trigger. Something wasn't working right and it wasn't the pistole's, I was shaking so badly that I had to call it quits for the day and concede that the S&W kicked my rear end for me. I had replaced the round butt wood grips with the factory rubber grips and I was feeing the difference. Next time it is going to be one or the other, not both in the same day.
G.R.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by grayfox »

Rubber grips are nice for the range, but they "hang" or "print" when going ccw. I try to put wood on all my guns except for the Zee grips for the P-64.
These are Houge grips on my model 60 .357.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Those are beautiful, I'll have to take a look at Houges grips.
G.R.
spudit

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by spudit »

My thanks to Gunneyrabbit. I took his advice about the Cobra Patriot 45 -- I expect to take delivery this week

I found this board when I bought a pair of J&G Sales $99.99 PA-63s last month. His and hers, mine comes with me most places and with a Wolff 15 pound recoil spring is a nice single hand if need be carry piece. I'll replace the trigger spring soon and really customize mine. Hers is not mine to fiddle with beyond the 15 pound spring switchout.

The Patriot 45 has been and on and off thing with me for about a year. The company had production troubles last summer. First the polymer frame making widget went down for a few months then the out sourced firing pins failed to meet spec and had to be replaced in house. Then production seemed to dry up entirely and my attention shifted over to Kel-Tec's new little and light PF-9 due out "real soon". Real soon for me has been since September. I'd still like to get a teeny tiny pocket 9x19 before the November election terrifies everyone. We shall see.

I got tired of waiting and reading his good honest field reports about the Patriot and noting that they were posted recently convinced me to call my shop and tell him to switch back to the now available Patriot. If the 9x18 lacks stopping power even with good quality hollow points, the 45 sure don't.

Wal-mart had a hundred box of Winchester white box 230 ball for thirty bucks. That should tell the tale. I'll post my own range reports as they happen.

Thanks to all, Spudit
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by normsutton »

Spudit

this was your fist post

WELCOME

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976