Cobra Patriot 45

Use this section for all other firearms
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Nehemia Sirkis is a handgun design genius, no wonder Kimber sought him out for their design team. Weight and balance fully loaded or empty is as close perfect as I have run into. It points so naturally that all I do is look for the front sight on the target and pull the trigger then repeat as fast as possible. I don't know what the grip angle is but it points better than any full size 1911 I have ever fired. I can't comment regarding the compact or sub-compact 1911 designs, never fired one. Can't wait to see your photo of the lightly used 45acp slug, it sounds like a real eye opener.
G.R.
spudit

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by spudit »

[

Winchester white box 230 grain FMJ shot from Patriot 45 through about 5" of cedar log.
Last edited by spudit on March 20th, 2008, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spudit

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by spudit »

spudit

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by spudit »

Pa-63 and Patriot 45

All Black Cobra Patriot 45
spudit

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by spudit »

I put a snap cap in the Patriot chamber and pulled the trigger until no longer amused. There is definite take up on this trigger. It gradually gets harder until it breaks when the trigger is just about vertical. The picture shows how far forward it starts out.

No grittiness that I can feel but maybe my finger is uneducated.

I fired a test round of the Win one handed into my log target. The bullet is still in there. The case didn't eject. I know why. Yep, I limp wristed the beast.

Spudit

Makarov snap caps are hard to find. I know better and wouldn't try it with a real cartridge but I wonder if a 380 snap cap would work in a 9 x 18.
Last edited by spudit on March 20th, 2008, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by grayfox »

That is a great design. My S&W Mod. 39-2 does the same thing, nice to be able to just pull the trigger again. :)
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Spudit, that's a good looking holster, who is the manufacturer and how does it carry? My Cobra has only seen the inside of a fanny type gun pack and my med's bag, I don't find either one very satisfactory.
G.R.

P.S.
That is a very interesting photo of the 45 slug, now I understand why hollow points are necessary for carry, odds are you would get the bad guy and the innocent bystander half a block away with the FMJ round.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on March 22nd, 2008, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Norm, I took your advise and picked up some graphite, could not find the liquid so I mixed a little up with some gun grease that I use, looks like Singer Sowing machine grease. I haven't got around to pulling the pistol apart yet but will let you know how it turns out.
G.R. :)

Spudit, your comment about the the gritty feeling is interesting, I wonder if it is just the springs stacking that I'm feeling? That may very well be correct, when I get around to pulling the pistol apart and applying the grease and graphite concoction I'll let you know.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on March 22nd, 2008, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by carguy »

Spudnit...don't try the 380 snap caps...they don't work. You will find yourself with a pencil, dowel or cleaning rod trying to get it out. I don't believe the firing pin hit it more than the first time it drove it into the barrlel. No benefit there! :'(
spudit

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by spudit »

Just curious about the .380 caps.

That 45 slug was almost out of energy when it exited the log. It passed through the wood at about a 45 degree angle landing on a scrap of carpet on a concrete floor. The carpet was undamaged, no loose fibers, no tears. I believe the wood deformed the bullet and that tissue would too. Naturally, I am looking into some kind of rounded hollow points too.

If the concrete had caused the flattening the angle would have been different, asymmetrical, like firing into a slanted metal plate. This was dry cedar, part of a tree that fell on my friend's garage last year. Wood doesn't get much softer. I look forward to some better ballistics tests this summer, into water or wet paper.

My log test was not deliberate;it just kind of grew. I needed to function test the PA-63s. I live outside town but I have a retired cop neighbor who has been known to freak out and report gunshots even though there are no county rules against it. To avoid problems, I decided to do my testing in the closed up garage with the compressor running. It works. When the 45 came along I just used what I had.

Pushing that luck, I once fired my Mosin Nagant M38in to the ground out back to test the firing pin adjustment. Man did it echo. That's one for the woods, for sure.

GR I'll look into that holster's make.

Spudit
spudit

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by spudit »

I mentioned some marks on the slide's black melonite coating. It does no harm and adds character. Still, I wonder what caused them. I refer to the lighter colored line running left from th O.
Last edited by spudit on March 23rd, 2008, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spudit

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by spudit »

The all black Patriot again in a leather holster. I am not sure what brand. I believe it may be a revolver holster. It is marked with a large capital K, the numbers 420-22 and some illegible lettering
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Spudit, just looking at the area around where the thumb safety would be I'm going to guess it is for a Beretta 9000S, outline looks very much like the Beretta thumb safety. Don't Quote me on the exact model, my memory may not be exactly correct, I think it was introduced in 2000; Berettas first polymer framed pistol!
G.R.
spudit

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by spudit »

GR, I'll have to take your word on it since I've never seen the other pistol. It's thick leather, a snug fit and carries the weight well.

I found some inexpensive 6 round 1911 mags at Sportsman's Guide. I may get a couple. Here's the link.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/c ... X2&i=66673
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

It has been a very strange last two weeks, almost lost my eighty-one year old mother to Pneumonia, thanks to a four day stay in hospital, modern medicine and younger men and women with the knowledge to use it; my mother is as healthy as she was prior to the episode. Now, one week later, here I set with a nasty sinus infection and a new host of drugs the Dr. says will cure the infection. Did not feel like going to the range so decided to put my gun grease and graphite concoction to work in the Cobra Patriot. Still haven't got around to it and you know what, I feel so crummy I'm going to go to bed and get well instead. I'll try to get to the range next week with the grease in use and will post a report.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on March 31st, 2008, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.