Cobra Patriot 45

Post by spudit »

Thanks Norm
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Spudit, congratulations on the Cobra and welcome aboard, hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.
I spent about 2.5 hours at the range today, only ran one box of 45's through the Cobra which still shoots just fine. Twenty-five rounds of 357 through the 340PD and nothing new there. Shot four box's of 9x18 through my PA63 and still just love the pistol, best shooter I have in 9x18. Then I started shooting my Kahr PM9 and the fellow just next to me at the lane had a Dan Wesson Point Man that was an absolute tack driver. He eventually switched to a CZ 75B that had a misfire that turned out to be a dud cartridge. That got me to thinking what would happen if I was unable to use my strong hand , so I switched to my left hand and started shooting left handed without strong hand support. I was surprised to find that I could hit the target at fifty-feet with the Kahr. I was able to hit the target thirty-seven times out of fifty shots, keeping thirty-four of the shots on the police half silhouette. There was no grouping to speak of just random hits mostly in the thorax. The big surprise was how the pistol jumped to the right with each ignition of the cartridge, something I did not expect. The Kahr is an excellent semi-auto that I would highly recommend. I've tried the same thing with the Cobra and was unable to hit the target at all at that distance left handed. Next step is to see if I can find some lighter springs for the Cobra to see if it can be improved without a big investment to the manufacturer. All and all a very satisfying day.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on March 11th, 2008, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spudit

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by spudit »

It is good to be here.

I received my Patriot 45 today. Total cost was $330 with tax and all. I paid a few bucks extra for the black slide, Melonite over stainless. My research indicates that Melonite is a sort of proprietary nitriding, like bluing a chemical change in the steel's outer layer to make it harder and, well, blackish. Most likely unnecessary on a piece of stainless but it roughly approximates a traditional blued finish, kinda sorta anyway.

Oddly, it is raining here in Washington but I managed to get in about 30 rounds of the Winchester 230 ball out in the woods. The Patriot 45 does not like Winchester; I had about 20% light strikes that needed two tries. They all fired eventually.

One failed to eject. That was one of the first light strikes, I'd cycled the slide to inspect the primer and reloaded that round first in the magazine, so it came out last in that loading. It may be coincidence that it got stuck or maybe it was deformed somehow passing through twice.

Accuracy was OK for a pinkie length barrel. I aimed too low at first and tore up the ground from 30 feet, then too high. That was the first magazine of five. The next 2 dozen, 4 mags of 6 or so, hit the plywood in a pattern about 6 inches across. Most hit about center on the painted cross mark.

It'll do for a first try with a defensive pistol. Recoil was not bad at all nor the trigger pull. The pull was longish but broke OK. I like the sights, nice and wide. The balance is good for a polymer, hardly top heavy at all. The piece tracks quickly between targets being as short and light as it is. Break down and clean up were easy, just remove one pin. The pin did not wander out or move appreciably, a complaint I read on another board

I'll live with the light strikes and use up the Winchester to work the parts in but look for something with a softer primer for everyday carry, the company recommends Federal. If hard primers are the issue it's for sure cheap Wolf ammo is out.

I like it already. The Cobra is a keeper.

Spudit
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by carguy »

Welcome and congratulations on all 3 (PA 63s and the Cobra)pick ups. Keep those range reports coming in...love to hear about different stuff. Everybody is really good about telling the tale good or bad on this forum. We're one big happy family!! ;D
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Spudit, how was your trigger, does it feel gritty to you? Also I'm curious to know if your pistol arrived dry with no grease or oil as mine did, that could be why you had several light strikes and a failure to eject. I'll be watching with interest for more of your comments.
Thanks again,
G.R.
spudit

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by spudit »

GR

It came unlubricated, I gave it a shot of WD 40 spray lube while fully assembled working it in as best I could. We were fighting weather and failing light.

MY main concern was wear on the polymer frame. I shot it and all went bang then I cleaned it lubing it well with more WD 40 and with Fluid Film, my gun guy has been a huge fan of it since his Navy days. I have not been able to test fire it since.

I wouldn't call the trigger gritty as in catching and rough, it's long and it takes some force to work it. I think I felt slackness at first. The trigger reminds me of a Norinco SKS, for whatever that's worth.

It willl likely be the weekend before I go out to the woods again.

Spudit
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

spudit, I don't think you have to worry about ware on the frame, I've lost count of the number of rounds that I've put through the pistol but the frame looks just like it did the day I purchased it. The reports that I've read at other sites have never mentioned problems with the frames and Ruger has been building composite frames for their pistols for some time now without metal inserts and no problems. Keep the postings coming.
G.R.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by normsutton »

spudit

try ether powder graphite lubricant or lock-ease graphite lock fluid for gritty triggers , you can get at auto parts store's , don't know if it will work on Cobra Patriot 45's but it works on most guns , specially sks's

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Thanks Norm,
I new you would come through, sounds like just the trick. I'm going to stop at the auto parts store on the way home tomorrow night and pick some up. When I talk about the trigger being gritty that doesn't quite explain what is going on. The trigger arm pushes the entire firing pin assembly, via a lug, to a point where the assembly is released to slide foreword to ignite the cartridge.
It is the drag on the firing pin assembly being pushed to the rear in its housing that is causing the gritty feeling, metal to metal. The graphite might just do the job.
Thanks again Norm I cant wait to try it out.
G.R.
spudit

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by spudit »

Thanks Guys,

I'll get some graphite powder next trip. One of the guys at work has a sick wife so it's been overtime city the last few weeks, not a lot of spare time.

The steel on plastic bearing surface has concerned some reviewers. I'm pleased to hear Ruger is doing it too. Thanks for that info. I know smooth metal will run in nylon bearings for a long time, so no conceptual biggie.

I've learned from fiddling with boats that the polymer may be the least important part of a polymer frame. I've made up a paste of epoxy and very fine sand to cover abrasion prone boat parts with some success. Cobra's frame certainly includes some kind of fiberglass, already plenty hard relative to steel: maybe they include something harder for the wear surface under the slide. Pure speculation.

I need to get some snap caps, in .45 and 9x18 next trip into Olympia, the nearest big town. I hope to have a spare day next week. I want to exercise that trigger, smooth it out. The first thing Steve, my gun guy, did was pull the do not dry fire paper out of the Cobra box and make me read it out loud. I will take that subtle hint.

Playing with the piece I am again pleased with the balance, it just feels nice. The finish on the stainless came out a flat black and looks nice with the polymer frame. There is one thin spot on both sides, a top to bottom line near the dangerous end, where they may have gripped the piece in the tank. I don't mind. The trigger guard is bigger than I expected, it was a major part of holster selection.

That's it for now, thanks again,

Spudit
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Spent the day doing double and triple tap drills with the Cobra out at fifteen feet and the pistol has finally come into its own. Groupings are not near as tight as the PA63 or the P64 but most were in the chest cavity, center mass area with the occasional flier. I find that at this point in time the pistol is quite comfortable to shoot and the trigger is as good as you would expect with a well made self defense pistol. I also note that I'm able to function the trigger much faster than when I first purchased the item and with good results. Next step is to pick up a good concealed carry holster and heavy belt, I think it is about time to see what it carries like before Summer starts and my chance is lost to the season.
My thoughts about the pistol at this time is that the Cobra Patriot 45 is a down and dirty self defense handgun, that was designed by Nehemiah Sirkis to be a well made, no frills; reliable inexpensive tool that almost anyone can afford.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on March 19th, 2008, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spudit

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by spudit »

You sure called it GR.

The Patriot 45 is a self defense weapon, pure and simple. I have in my pocket a bullet fired through a big chunk of cedar. It is a perfect mushroom 3/4" wide. the full metal jacket has spread out and split -- just the thing to stop the bad guy fast. I really have a good feeling about the weapon.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get into town tomorrow to pick up some snap caps, powdered graphite, some of the Federal American Eagle Cobra recommends and hopefully a spare magazine or two.

Spudit
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Spudit, my seven round magazine took some time to work, it did not want to seat at first fully loaded. Shot it for a while with six rounds and eventually it would seat with the full seven rounds. I wish you were close I would let you use it for a while, I find that I don't like it much, for me the pistol is out of balance with the extra weight of the seven round mag in place. The ten round mag is a single stack and is just for fun, not a serious consideration for carry. Post a picture of the mushroomed slug, it would be an eye opener for many. Keep the feed back coming, we are all interested in your comments and insights.
G.R.
spudit

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by spudit »

I got some of the ammo Cobra recommends,an in the pants holster and some 45 acp snap caps today. Also some graphite. Note, it was with the keys at HD not the locks.

I took some pictures of what a 230 FM looks like after passing through 5" or 6" of cedar. I haven't quite mastered posting them from Fliker yet. Maybe I'll try another service?

GR, one of the nicest things about this weapon is it's balance and how the hand fits on the grip. A longer magazine would mess up both. Six rounders are available on line. I'll order one.

Spudit
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by normsutton »

IF USEING http://photobucket.com/

PLEASE USE THIS OPTION message board ( 640 x 480 ) TO POST PICTURES WHEN YOU UPLOAD YOUR PIX TO photobucket
it will make your pix more enjoyable to other members
Image Options
basic dimensions

avatar ( 100 x 75 ) 19" screen ( 1280 x 960 )
thumbnail ( 160 x 120 ) 21" screen ( 1600 x 1200 )
website, email ( 320 x 240 ) 22" screen ( 2048 x 1536 )
message board ( 640 x 480 ) 23" screen ( 2240 x 1680 )

you can always go to edit at the top of picture and then go to resize then message board ( 640 x 480 )

they may not change until you reboot your computer ( has something to do with resident memory )

TO POST PIX

copy IMG Code
paste IMG Code

to your reply

then post reply

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 1132531697

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage