Cobra Patriot 45

Post by himmel »

What's MIM?
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Molten metal injection molding, supposedly creates better parts than conventional casting techniques can, better metal grain when everything is done properly etc.. My understanding is that most of the world is going or has gone to this type of metal parts production. It is probably a very good technique until some one loses their concentration and problems ensue, thats when the quality control people look the other way. I first noticed issues with a Kimber Ultra ten II slide release, you could look at it and tell it was not machined, just didn't look right. also I have noticed some mag releases that have looked a little off on some of the newer handguns on the market. My guess is that all gun manufacturers are going to this type of production for parts that are not stressed by recoil pressures ect..
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on June 7th, 2008, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spudit

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by spudit »

Last summer, a Cobra rep told me they had a bad batch of outsourced firing pins and had to replace them with some made in house. How they were made, I don't know.

Spudit
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Very possible, I was just at the Kahr Home Page and I noted that they list certain MIM parts on their CW45 series pistol.
Though they do not overtly advertise the use of MIM parts in their weapons as does Kahr, Taurus does advertise that they do MIM castings for themselves and other industry manufacturers with no specifics noted regarding who or what those industries are. I think that MIM parts are here to stay and when used appropriately they are acceptable for use where no excessive stress in measured.
G.R.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I have received several PM's regarding the replacement of the extractor on the Cobra. Sorry that I've been remiss in ordering the part, I have several other projects that demand my attention including honey does that will not go away. Will order the parts tomorrow and get back to regular entry's. Thanks to all of you who have been fallowing this thread and those that took time to PM me.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on June 15th, 2008, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by himmel »

Thanks for the reply, GR-- (don't get on here near as often as I would like...)
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

OK guys, you are going to think this is a little bit odd, OK it may be down right strange, but here I go. I took my Ruger 357 to the range yesterday and my Norinco .22 ATD just for a lark. Had the Cobra in my range bag with a box of 45's that I had with me when the extractor gave up the ghost. Got tired of shooting the Black hawk and only brought two box's of Remington .22's so I thought I would see if God had taken pity on me and fixed my 45 caliber paper weight. Not a chance on the repair, but I did have a very good time shooting the Cobra one round at a time and guess what, the pistol still amazes the bejeebers out of me. This pistol is dead on accurate for me and I felt a twinge of angst when I was unable to pull the trigger more than once and be rewarded with that wonderful bang and the pleasant recollection of the recoil. You know what, even though the pistol is broken for the time being, I still love this gun.
G.R.

P.S.
By the way, when I called to order the extractor, one of the sales reps talked me into sending the pistol in for the repair, he said they would go through the pistol and make it brand new.
These are very good people to work with!
G.R.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by normsutton »

G.R.

I think I'd take that offer

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Thanks Norm, I think I'll take your advise.
G.R.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by himmel »

Cobra apparently has a very good repair policy.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

My impression is that Cobra is interested in letting it be known that they have a very good product and that they stand behind it 100%, to this point this is the only problem I have had with the item.
Many of you will remember a good friend of mine who in the past I have referred to as Fairly Honest Ed. Well one of Eds prize pistole's is a Beretta 92 series Brigadier with a short barrel, jazzed up trigger, jeweled barrel and trigger, night sites, etc., etc., etc., you get the point. The pistol is a tack driver, very accurate, very dependable and until it seized up and failed to come out of battery Ed was a happy camper. When it did come out of battery it needed a new ejector. Ed also invested in Springfield Champion, a very nice stainless steel 1911 design in 45ACP that he was very proud of until the pistol failed to eject the spent cartridges too.
These are great guns and it only goes to prove that the best of guns can eventually have problems, it does not detract from the manufacturers product, it only goes to prove that gun metal is fallible no matter who makes the gun.
G.R.

PS,
I'm on vacation and have not gotten around to sending the pistol in to the factory, just being lazy! ;D
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on June 26th, 2008, 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Vacation is over and it's back to the grind on Tuesday, got off my big fat rear end and sent the Patriot 45 ACP back to Cobra Enterprises of Utah for repair, had it labeled as gun parts. Cost of shipping wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, just $14.39 which included $300.00 insurance coverage. I will get back to regular entry's when it returns from the company.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on July 5th, 2008, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Picked up the Patriot today, it arrived last week but I failed to contact my FFL holder, spent most of the week entertaining visiting family. To late in the day to get to the range but it now seems to extract and eject properly. I will get back to the range next Monday and will start making regular entries again.
G.R. ;D
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Put fifty rounds of Federal ammunition through the Patriot last evening and she is shooting like a dream. When Cobra of Utah says they will make everything like new they aren't just kidding, everything came back like new including the trigger. Pistol is still as accurate as when I sent it in and the pull weight is just the way it was when I bought the pistol new, but not gritty feeling this time? Extraction and ejection is very nice with cartridges landing to the right, three to four feet out . I was very pleased to see that it takes a while to loose your double action shooting skills, all I have been shooting for the last few weeks were single action semi auto's, mostly my P-64 and Kahr 9mm. I'm looking foreword to spending more time with this pistol, I sure do like shooting it and found I missed it more than I realized. I have several more small projects to take care of and might try to get to the range again this evening.
G.R.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Cobra Patriot 45

Post by himmel »

I love hearing about this gun--some day I may even buy one! :) ! Anybody know what they go for new these days?