rear sight for a m34 ranger

Use this section for all other firearms
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

Maybe does anyone know where I might find a rear sight for a ranger model m34 s l lr 22 cal. has no serial number. I know for a fact the rifle is at least 74 years old. It has a dovetail type mount I think maybe a 3/8 not really sure. Ihave checked gunparts.com and some other related sites but I have come up with zipp. Oh, it is a single shot bolt action. Really odd but this rifle has no serial numbers. I know with all the great minds and information you guys have I'm hoping I can get pointed in the right direction. If ya need pictures let me know and I'll get some for ya. I am in the process of refinishing the stock now and hope to get the barrel back as close to origional as possible. Right now the rear sight looks like some one took a hammer to it! Thank for any help. :(
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

The Marlin/ranger single shot was my first gun.I just got another one recently that I make believe in my half a brain is the one I abandoned years ago in my youth
hope the following sheds some light on your quest. :oI also know some other companies made guns for sears under ranger brand.

The Gun Parts Corp. catalog has a neat listing in the front that converts many of the "store brands" to the original maker. The Ranger brand was sold by Sears, Roebuck & Co. The model 34A was made by Marlin and under the Marlin label could have been designated model 80, C, 780, or 50-50E. These were probably circa 1920-1950, but I cannot confirm that without a lot more research than I have time for right now. Hope this helps.
Last edited by anjdrifter on August 2nd, 2007, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

blinddog

One of these sight's should work just fine

NUMRICH GUN PARTS CATALOG #27

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

Hey, Norm, that is pretty darn close. (I looked at it again) Yeh, it WILL work!!) Thanks guys. That was my dads first gun and my first gun. I carved my first name under the butt plate. When I was 15 the gun was stolen from my car. About a year ago I saw the gun in a pawn shop and asked the guy if he had a screwdriver, removed the plate and low and behold. I bought the gun right there right then. My dad died in Feb. this year so it makes it that much sweeter. Thanks for all the help.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

wow great story
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

blinddog,

I enjoyed your story, small world huh. I know how you must feel finding it, something similar happen to me that my dad had given me, thanks for sharing your story with us.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

blinddog

Yes a very good story
thanks for sharing
hope you get it working order

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

My Ranger.
Image :-* ;D
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

Thats a sweet looking ranger ya got there. You know, there is just something about your first gun. And old 22 rifles, huh?
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

brings the kid out in us I guess.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

blinddog

This is a pix of me and grandparents and my mom Christmas 1956 with my first 22 rifle it's a Stevens model 15-A

and I still have it

RB
didn't you get one these rifles about a year or two ago
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Thanks for sharing the pic's of your old .22 rifles guy's, brings back many a memory. Unfortunately I don't still have my first .22 rifle, but my cousin has it that that lives in Eugene, Oregon, or in that area. My first .22 rifle was a Western Auto model 105, got it for HS graduation in 62'. It was a bolt action with a magazine, not to read, but to hold the .22 ammo for those that call them clips. In my earlier years when I went hunting or plinking I used my granddad's Winchester model 62, not the one with the octagon bbl but the round bbl model 1906, it was a pump that shot S-L-LR, me and my cousin's couldn't wear it out. I loved that old rifle, a box of shorts cost about $0.50 course my allowance was only $0.25 a week so I had to save up.

We were taught the one shot one kill theory from granddad who lived through the depression as did my mom and dad., but plinking was a big thing back then, had to wait for granddad to leave the farm and go to town before I could plink but of course grandmother would tell on me, but granddad never said a thing. We lived in the country, but mom didn't allow guns in the house, so I spent a lot of time at my grandparents, we only lived down the road from them. My only .22 rifle today is a Marlin model 60 with a cheap but accurate Blazer 4x32 scope on it, I still like to go plinking with .22's.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

ummmm 62' ( was that 18 or 19) ??? where there schools way back then, ::)
not sure if i read the post right, was looking at picutures in my stock magazine.

willing to bet most of us on this site basically all started with this type of gun.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

That was 1962 you old dog, you were born the same year as me, just 4 months later, I love it you giving me a hard time, it means you kinda like me......... ;D even though I call it a magazine instead of a clip...... ::)

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

yup.... gotta go :-/ :'(